small / downgrades Aleph for active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re: downsizing the Aleph 3

This was the Aleph5.

And I wonder if it was better to downsize this one.

Because, what I have read in another thread, the Aleph 3 was designed to increase power in 4 ohm loads, compared to 8 ohm loads.

It is doing this by higher idle current, which means that the power consumption/output ratio is worse.

Any Aleph has a power consumption 2,5 x output power.

Only the Aleph3 has 4,1 x.

As I have to save energy with my ( hopefully in future ) 2x4 Aleph channels plus 2x80VA for the plasma tweeters, I would strongly prefer to downsize the Aleph 5.

That would be nice to get 2x20VA out of one pair,
or 2x40VA out of 2 pairs.

I can live with the reduced damping, as I do not have a passive crossover...

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
re: downsizing the Aleph 3

This was the Aleph5.

And I wonder if it was better to downsize this one.

Because, what I have read in another thread, the Aleph 3 was designed to increase power in 4 ohm loads, compared to 8 ohm loads.

It is doing this by higher idle current, which means that the power consumption/output ratio is worse.

Any Aleph has a power consumption 2,5 x output power.

Only the Aleph3 has 4,1 x.

As I have to save energy with my ( hopefully in future ) 2x4 Aleph channels plus 2x80VA for the plasma tweeters, I would strongly prefer to downsize the Aleph 5.

That would be nice to get 2x20VA out of one pair,
or 2x40VA out of 2 pairs.

I can live with the reduced damping, as I do not have a passive crossover...

Bernhard

Ok, sorry about my confusion re aleph versions....

Down sizing the aleph 5 is not a particularly good idea given your design constraints as with 3 pairs it does 60W, 2 pair should do 26W and 1 pair only 6W given the default bias of this amp.

Half the Aleph 3 bias is pretty much perfect for your required output wattage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.