Small 3-way with KEF SP1632 & SB Acoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are ordering replacement parts make sure to include the tweeter which is a separate part, SVC(something) I think, or else you risk getting just a coaxial midrange with a hole in the middle.

When I ordered it the tweeter was included as well as the design rings around the mid-range. I don't think the spare part is sold without the tweeter.

Regards

/Göran

When I ordered it the tweeter was included as well as the design rings around the mid-range. I don't think the spare part is sold without the tweeter.
I commented because SP1632 is the part number for the midrange. The tweeter has it's own part number and I presume so does the ring. If I recall correctly, I was asked if I wanted the tweeter (yes) and the ring (no). The box received was labelled SVC+SP1632 and contained midrange and tweeter but no ring. If your ring came in the box it would be interesting to know the label? Whatever, I guess we still don't know one way or the other but hopefully the message has got across that people should check they are getting a tweeter with the midrange.

I think things tightened up in the US after that chap started buying KEF replacement parts to use in his commercial speakers.

That's not true, per KEF America. They shut things down after people published links to buy them on public forums.

And the bigger one (later renamed 1812 IIRC) uses a BMS concentric I think.

That's not true, per KEF America. They shut things down after people published links to buy them on public forums.
They tightened up BEFORE the chap started using the KEF drivers in his commercial speakers? Where did he get them from if they were not replacement drivers from the local KEF distributor? KEF don't supply other companies or the DIY community with their coaxial drivers but instead use them to distinguish their products from their competitors.

Unlike the drivers from most other companies, I suspect the KEF coaxial drivers are sufficiently attractive to the DIY market and small manufacturers that they would be bought in significant numbers if available. When they started to be used as something other than replacement drivers in the US the local leak was plugged. Possibly the biggest advert for that leak, and perhaps the biggest drain on stocks (I don't know), was the Soundfield monitor one of which I believe you purchased if I recall correctly?

I would agree it is likely that KEF were more concerned about the number of leaking drivers more than the details of where they ended up. I find it hard to believe they were concerned about links in posts on forums pointing to a source of non-replacement drivers but I expect they were concerned about the source.

They tightened up BEFORE the chap started using the KEF drivers in his commercial speakers?

Look, I've actually talked to the people involved in the decision. You can believe them or not.

Where did he get them from if they were not replacement drivers from the local KEF distributor?

I have no interest in revealing other parties' confidential business information, so let me just say that the speakers continued production after KEF America instituted the serial number requirement, and not because drivers were stockpiled.

Possibly the biggest advert for that leak, and perhaps the biggest drain on stocks (I don't know), was the Soundfield monitor one of which I believe you purchased if I recall correctly?

Yes, I purchased a pair (secondhand, after all of this stuff went down and IIRC also after they were discontinued) but that's neither here nor there. They are fantastic speakers, but that is also neither here nor there.

I find it hard to believe they were concerned about links in posts on forums pointing to a source of non-replacement drivers but I expect they were concerned about the source.

According to my communications with KEF America, they were concerned about links to purchase them and public testing data.

Last edited:
Frequency response .txt files

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a small 3-way based around the KEF SP1632 co-axial driver paired with dual SB Acoustics 5” mid-woofers.

The design is called Concentric Three – M5 and I thought I should share the construction progress for those who are interested.

The KEF SP1632 is a great sounding little driver with several nice features like a braced aluminium/magnesium mid-range cone for suppression of cone break-ups as well as a wave-guide like feature for the aluminium tweeter dome.

Here are more details on the construction as well as detailed measurements on the driver units:

Concentric Three – M5 Construction!
KEF SP1632 Measurements!
SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 Measurements!

Note! The KEF SP1632 driver isn’t generally available to DIY:ers. Either it has to be stripped from a loudspeaker in the “R Series” or ordered as a spare part, but this requires a valid “R Series” serial number in order to be able to obtain the driver.

Regards

/Göran

Hi Göran,
Thanks for all the Data! Can you please publish the .txt files of the 0deg frequency responses? I can't use the .jpg files in my Crossover software :dunno:
I measured the the Impedance myself (see Attachments), so I don't necessarily need those files too.

Regards
Silas

Attachments

• KEF SP1632 Tweeter.txt
    11.4 KB · Views: 61
  • KEF SP1632 Midrange.txt
    11.7 KB · Views: 39
Cabinet volume? + compatible with Dayton UM8-22?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently working on a small 3-way based around the KEF SP1632 co-axial driver paired with dual SB Acoustics 5” mid-woofers.

The design is called Concentric Three – M5 and I thought I should share the construction progress for those who are interested.

The KEF SP1632 is a great sounding little driver with several nice features like a braced aluminium/magnesium mid-range cone for suppression of cone break-ups as well as a wave-guide like feature for the aluminium tweeter dome.

Here are more details on the construction as well as detailed measurements on the driver units:

Concentric Three – M5 Construction!
KEF SP1632 Measurements!
SB Acoustics SB15NRXC30-8 Measurements!

Note! The KEF SP1632 driver isn’t generally available to DIY:ers. Either it has to be stripped from a loudspeaker in the “R Series” or ordered as a spare part, but this requires a valid “R Series” serial number in order to be able to obtain the driver.

Regards

/Göran

Hi,
I am about to build too bookshelf speakers. I have the KEF SP1632 driver and a Dayton Ultimax UM8-22 laying around. Does anybody know if that is a good combo, or If I have to buy an new Woofer?
Can you tell me the volume of the cabinet for the SP1632 driver?

Regards
Silas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.