Skinning capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
quickshift said:
OK, so a bad idea then I guess.

I thought i'd check because I've seen it done but with a warning to be careful but no reason given. As it isn't just a label, I'll leave it on.

Thank you :)
Why do you want to do this? This question must be put.

If you don't risk any contact with the can it's no harm to remove the jacket. The main purpose is to make it easier for a designer to have insulated caps. Personally I think it looks uglier to have raw aluminium instead of some nice colour.

It's purely cosmetic. I'm building a chip amp in a tranparent case for someone. I have used metal cable braiding, an interesting shaped heat sink etc etc to try to make it look nice but the caps just look like, well black caps with white writing on so don't really fit in with the rest of the look.

There isn't any danger of anyone touching them but there are 6 of them which touch each other.

What I could do I guess is spray them gloss black or something.

"Normally" on radial caps the can is not connected to anything, it might however have a potential on the can. If the cans of the caps on the positive and negative side touch you might have current flowing and a blown fuse.
I had an amp for repair recently where the owner had removed the sleeves and the cans touched.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.