SKA GB150D now public domain...

I asked Greg about a new amp in the works or coming soon...

:cheers:
Quote from email from Greg..
Haha...thanks.

If you're active there you
can tell them NO...at least not right away.

I did it for public legacy reasons...at 63 5/6 I'm in touch with my
mortality.

Cheers,
Greg

;)

Lateral mosfets would be a waste in this design, which makes good use of the much lower cost vertical types.
The fets have to be regular high Vgs, not the so called logic level types.
The pairs should be matched. Splitting the 0.15R resistors into two separate 0.3R would help a little

Yes, the pairs supplied in the kit version are matched. Note the early versions didn't have the 0.15R source resistor (ie. mine doesn't). The later boards were changed to accommodate these and the larger traces required, Greg advised me.

This resitors helps to keep the bias less depended by the temperature, and also easier to set it. Another advantage, that this resistors linearize the final stage.

Sajti

Unfortunately they also drop about 1V at 7A, reducing Vgs by the same, so reducing the peak current capability. This makes the SKA even more a 8 Ohm design.
Design is always a compromise

I think, that You can increase the voltage of the zeners use for protection. Even 10V version is OK, if You drive 4ohm speaker. 2pair 240/9240 should be enough for 200W/4ohm.

Sajti

2pr of 150W devices equals a total 600W of output devices.
Divide by 4 for mosFETs and the answer predicts the maximum output power that can be reliably sought as a target, i.e. 2pr = 150W

Choose the transformer to give 150W into 12ohms, or 150W into 8ohms, or 150W into 6ohms, or 150W into 4ohms.

It came from my de-rated SOAR spreadsheets when modifying Bensen's SOA sheet.

Then I worked on bjts and came up with 5 to 6 as the divisor.
These had not been mentioned previously, but I had seen many other types of recommended methods for reliable output stage modeling. They were generally coming to similar predictions, but quite a variation overall.

Cordell came along with his "interview" series. In there he uses a formula for predicting stage capability vs maximum output power.
I compared my 4, 5, 6 divisor formulae with Cordell's. The answers were almost identical.

So on that basis I still use:
Total Output stage device dissipation divided by 4 for mosFETs, or divide by 5 to 6 for BJTs.
6 suits devices with a low Vce corner, eg 1943/5200 and 5 suits devices with a higher Vce corner, eg mjl4301/4281

Last edited:
I can say without any issue at all my SKA amp drives ny speaker so far I have thrown at it..
Some of the designs use a low 3.8ohm in the bottom end of the design down into the 24hz range and my amp has had no issues at all.
And I will say the photo only shows a small margin of what has been played with my SKA amp.

4890837181_7b7a466744.jpg

The modifications I made to my amps brought the design to 2013 standards IMO. I'm still really happy with them.

Greg added 1 resistor per rail for the source R. The .15 unit. This helps to stabilize the bias. I added a separate resistor to each mosfet. It was a pain to do but it locked the bias right in and works better then a single .15.

This amp does need matched mosfets. Matching is not that hard to do with a little thought. Greg usually has matched pairs on hand for replacements too.

Mikeg