• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Single-ended-series amp with a "1 winding" transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is a pseudo push-pull design. At around 1969 it was difficult to make complementary transistors, so they designed (iron or no-iron) pseudo-pp amps, no need for expensive transistor-couples (and matching) Philips and others came with some of those designs.

PP indeed eleminates 2nd order harmonics. The use of a triode in the first stage creates some even harmonics, all together the amp could sound very neutral due to the combination of "even" & "odd" stages. But i am unaware what the bootstrap will do to the harmonic distorsion., (bootstrap = positive feedback)

The splitter bootstrap guarantees equal grid to cathode drive voltage on the top output tube. Since it references the equal voltage drop on the top 82K (versus the bottom 82K) splitter resistor to the top tube's cathode (which the bottom drive already does too).

Since the splitter bootstrap is not increasing the top grid drive versus the bottom grid drive, it should not be creating any additional distortion here. Really just has the same effect as one would get using an interstage transformer with two floating secondaries. (Remind me not to buy any interstage transformers, how stupid!)

Don

giant topic kick

well well, looooong time ive been here. Long story too: my class D amp in PC speakers broke up and made a germanium amp for it wich i had laying around, AD161 amp. This made me think could it not be done with tubes and that reminded me on my first attempts. Spend a few hours on a soldering session and first design idea of a SEPP with EL34 penthodes is done. Sound not available (yet) but keep you posted.

Did not use the bootstrap idea but used this schem:

Amp.png

This has less coupling caps, and the bootstrap to upper EL34 is not needed, simply the voltage swing of lower EL34 drives the upper, simple as that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.