Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now high end is sounding hotter with Steve Winwoods "Live from the Canteen", not as heavy vinyl as the Jah Wobble album is, so probably shifted VTA a smidge. A bit more tail up could be in order.

Russellc
You could also try 100pF C2Y or no C2Y before VTA experimentation. To can decide which approach is more consistent with your different records. It's easy because there are female pin sockets for that treble trim cap.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The main treble eq cap of the riaa filter is C2 15nF. C2Y is a parallel trim. Usually 220pF. Bringing the total value to about 15n2. Which is popular. But with very smooth carts it can be tried in less pF or even skipped. That's making the curve brighter. For trebly carts >220pF C2Y can also be tried.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good to know. That is exactly the reason why there is C2Y flexibility in the design. To aid system synergy. No matter if using 220pF has been reported correctly balanced by the great majority of builders, some cases needing to tweak the treble curve little differently will certainly appear.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Good to know. That is exactly the reason why there is C2Y flexibility in the design. To aid system synergy. No matter if using 220pF has been reported correctly balanced by the great majority of builders, some cases needing to tweak the treble curve little differently will certainly appear.
Yes, and I am still adapting to it as well. but midrange clarity took a big jump when I pulled the cap. While it changes, right now it is working with a DIY Pass BA 2018 line stage and my DIY Aleph J power amp. Speaker right now are Tekton Enzo.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe you had the MC model? The 1000LT is HMC.
Yes, I believe it is 2.5 on the output? I believe that was it high output moving coil. A few years ago a boatload of them NOS came on the market. At that time there was another version, but only a stylus change (eliptical) and I wanted the "Line trace" or whatever version. I've got its paperwork around here somewhere or the other, but pretty sure output is 2.5.

Just switched back to the 220 cap....it sounds pretty good now too! Clearly I need more time to familiarize myself with this thing.
Quite favorable so far, very nice. I have a new cart in my future, either Hana or Audio Tech, low out put.

Maybe the 150 cap, trying it now.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had it for quite a bit and used it with FSP. More details and neutral sound than DL103. I don't know if I could say it had 'live sound' but it certainly didn't sound relaxed. It needed many hours to sound right (bought NOS). Anyway good all-round sound for it's money.
In the day they were expensive. The NOS I got for 199.00 IIRC, and snagged a Shure V15 vxmr for the same price, and spare stylus pile at the same time. I'm familiar with this cartridge, Ive been using it with DIY Pearl 2 since I bought it