Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Which one cart model? If the bench supply is two channel you can configure them in series to double its max voltage (and halve its max current). If so read its manual carefully on series mode.

I will check my Bench supply.
AT33PTG2. You were a big influence and every time I looked into it Audio Technica was well talked about and the icing on the cake came from a thread where a guy said it was the best sounding cart he had ever listened to from Denon's to the Art9. It was a long list and it was personal. YMMV. Insidentally, the seller does have one Art9 for $995 US if anybody you know has been looking. Short supply right now. Seller is Ebay in Japan.
It will be going with an SL-1200G. Don't want to shortcut the system I am working on.
Thanks for your help.
Don

@donhughes111—I tried to fire up the new boards (UBiB portion) with my bench supply which maxes out at 30VDC... saw what you did... brief lighting of the LEDs (yea! all oriented right!) then they went out...
Just now I pulled a couple of lines from my FSP power supply. It's putting out around 41+VDC. With enough juice, the UBiB portion of the new amp behaved as expected, I was able to dial in the 34VDC Salas spec-ed...Definitely get some heatsink action going for testing outside a case!

Well... I was motivated to just test everything out in anticipation of chassis...first board 34v on UBiB no issue, plug in amp, 0v on TP...was able to dial a bunch and get 4v. Very steady too...even with everything exposed..
On second board also able to dial in 34v on UBiB... then on TP, 7v out of the gate and was only able to get it down to around 5v... had to drop UBiB to around 32v to achieve the 4v TP. Assuming this is all normal Salas? The 4v TP being the ultimate goal? Curious though as to why....? Not saying this is related, but I did match my LEDs just because....obviously I’ll recheck all points, especially since I think I’ll make another PSU...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sensitivity setting (S5-S12)
-------------------------------
MM 40dB
S8 ON S12 ON all others OFF

HiMC 43dB
S7 ON S11 ON all others OFF

MC 56dB
S6 ON S10 ON all others OFF

LoMC 62dB
S5 ON S6 ON S9 ON all others OFF

CAUTION! Don't switch S5-S12 when the phono is powered on.

Input Load setting (S1-S4)
------------------------------
Rx1-Rx4 install preferred values
S1-S4 all OFF input load is 47k
S1-S4 choose load by ON each Rx
(or by parallel ON combinations)

CAUTION! Don't switch S1-S4 when the system volume is open.

Test point setting procedure
--------------------------------
UBiB 1.3S section VR1 adjusts the rail voltage. Start with +34V
Then trim the phono's other local VR1 towards a 4V T.P reading
If not yet reachable readjust rail voltage a little to help T.P goal

Board dimensions
--------------------
152x107mm Phono+Shunt Reg 1.3S
95x80mm Raw PS

Bill of materials: BOM link
GB thread: GB link
Hello Salas
What is the purpose of the three leds over J1 in the ultrabib v1.3 ?

I am running mine at 43db with only a slight hiss at a very loud listening level. Par-metal sells the enclosure in a Gold/Clear alodine finish for EMI shield. I chose the unfinished version and am very happy with it. The line amp in the photo is a DCG3 in a Par-metal case.

Attachments

• 20200720_195816.jpg
    20200720_195816.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 266