Simplistic NJFET RIAA

This is exactly what happened. You helped me to troubleshoot it and replace BS337-40. You should remember my posts back then when I got discharge and lost Vdrop of K-Multi. Vin and Vout was equal. We fixed it, but C1 issue came up just now when I started to use it with new FSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my 4th device that I use these Panasonic FR in PSU and 1st failure with these caps. That 820uF get top aluminum cover almost opened up. Hard to make a good image to show you its condition...
5bcf189b49dd8a10b59d6b9b20152645.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I see it. Definitely not right.

Were there any inductors on the PSU that could have caused a voltage spike from the discharge or perhaps it discharged into a negative rail which reverse polarized the capacitor? Or perhaps it was discharged by something inductive which pulled the voltage negative?

Thanks Salas for grounding explanation. I went around (sensibly!) testing potential noise points with an open wire connected to the Folded Chassis GND, to see what is really causing the 50hz buzz, and was astounded to find that the turntable itself, even though not connected to the arm by any conductive material, was causing buzz in the stylus, and again, the arm, also metal, but not connected by any conductive material to the stylus/ wires, was also desperately needing grounding, even when the turntable is not plugged in at all. Why is this? It's voodoo!

Also, where does the GND from the turntable go from inside the Folded box, if the shielding from the power supply is only connected at the power supply end, and is cut off and disconnected at the Folded end, as specified in the instructions? Is this correct?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Also, where does the GND from the turntable go from inside the Folded box, if the shielding from the power supply is only connected at the power supply end, and is cut off and disconnected at the Folded end, as specified in the instructions? Is this correct?

It goes to FSP channels ground potential. Also connecting through the zero return cables to the PSU zero. The phono chassis itself is connected to that same ground potential because the grounding post must be installed non insulated on the phono chassis and it receives the two phono channels ground lines. That whole reference system is in its turn floating in respect to the protective earth (PE) but its also having a Yin Yang diodes system to close circuit in case of a hard fault. That network is already implemented on the RAW PSU PCB. You just need to connect from the RAW PSU PE designated pad to the PSU chassis which must be mains earth grounded.

It goes to FSP channels ground potential. Also connecting through the zero return cables to the PSU zero. The phono chassis itself is connected to that same ground potential because the grounding post must be installed non insulated on the phono chassis and it receives the two phono channels ground lines. That whole reference system is in its turn floating in respect to the protective earth (PE) but its also having a Yin Yang diodes system to close circuit in case of a hard fault. That network is already implemented on the RAW PSU PCB. You just need to connect from the RAW PSU PE designated pad to the PSU chassis which must be mains earth grounded.

Great, yes that makes sense. The Folded is floating with regards to protective earth. The RAW PSU is very much connected to PE.

I had no idea that a MM cartridge is a big aerial and any metal around it makes it into a big mains buzz amplifier. That seems to be the case with mine, anyway. I guess my non shielded, nude arm cables are not helping that any...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Great, yes that makes sense. The Folded is floating with regards to protective earth. The RAW PSU is very much connected to PE.

I had no idea that a MM cartridge is a big aerial and any metal around it makes it into a big mains buzz amplifier. That seems to be the case with mine, anyway. I guess my non shielded, nude arm cables are not helping that any...

Try link everything metallic in your TT to a ground wire and connect it to the FSP TT ground binding post to see what happens.

Try link everything metallic in your TT to a ground wire and connect it to the FSP TT ground binding post to see what happens.

Yes, that's what I'm doing tonight. Going by my experiments, it seems to make it very quiet! I look forward to listening test no. 2

Should I disconnect the PE from the turntable? It's one I put in there - just a chassis connection to the AC motor housing. I'm guessing it should be one OR the other, not both. Is that right?

If there is mains fed to the TT then the TT needs a PE.

To attenuate interference the TT then needs to be connected to the low impedance of the Receiver enclosure.
In my mind that means you need both.

As I said, I fitted the twin and earth flex myself, as being a simple AC motor circuit from the 1960s Swizerland, it didn't have an earth connection from the factory. I can remove it and reintroduce it re-routing metal grounding to the Folded Simplistic instead. To have both connections seems to me to be incorrect and potentially problematic from an earth loop perspective, or am I wrong? It creates 2 references, one floating, the other not.

I'll try both ways - see which is quieter!