Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Added the 210 uf BGs to the LED bypass capacitors and there is an improvement. 60 uF is just not enough.

Details are revealed which were being hidden by the noise, though I did not perceive the noise. Was hoping PP capacitance had a multiplying factor! Will continue to add more "good" capacitance to see where it no longer makes a difference.

I had convinced myself that electrolytic capacitance was a little "fake" in comparison to film. I think there is no question, dynamically, there is something to this but I guess this is a fairly steady state situation.

Keep wondering about substituting the LEDs with a LiFePo battery. Using John Kenney's "hybrid" battery supply approach. One uses a regulator to float charge the batteries (would require three) to the voltage wanted. The batteries are quiet, unlike the LEDs. I don't know where I would put all of this so it is just something to think about. The mravica TI based regulator can give a fixed 7.8 or 7.7 volts - would that missing 0.05 make a difference? The mravica is very small which is why I am considering it.

Did you ever consider using a battery to supply the bias voltage? If it was dismissed I would appreciate reading your reasons.

Please do not take my question as "second guessing" - I know one of your objectives was to make something that would require a minimum of fuss, other than having to measure the FETs, which of course, is one of the reasons the thing sounds so good.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sneak peek :)

Attachments

• 20160114_201254.jpg
    20160114_201254.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 245
If to consider adding PP cap to existing C8 (470uF) then what value are we talking about? Bigger is better? How about leads length?

If you are asking me - I used 60 uF of ASC PP oil cans because I wanted as much PP effect as I could get. The ASCs's do not come in any larger value or I would have used them. Not a bypass as much, more of a collaboration ...

My leads are approx. two inches. from can to PCB.

Is this the thread for discussing the build of the Salas Folded Phono stage?

I've just (after about a year of waiting) ordered all of the parts. I'm a Shure MM guy, so please forgive me: I will be making a 5mV version... but to my credit I do at least have an exceptional DIY Lenco turntable with a "Terminator" style linear tracking air bearing suspension arm I built with love and devotion.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Is this the thread for discussing the build of the Salas Folded Phono stage?

I've just (after about a year of waiting) ordered all of the parts. I'm a Shure MM guy, so please forgive me: I will be making a 5mV version... but to my credit I do at least have an exceptional DIY Lenco turntable with a "Terminator" style linear tracking air bearing suspension arm I built with love and devotion.

Sure is. And I have a M97 with a Jico Stylus on it, and its pretty impressive.

If you are asking me - I used 60 uF of ASC PP oil cans because I wanted as much PP effect as I could get. The ASCs's do not come in any larger value or I would have used them. Not a bypass as much, more of a collaboration ...

My leads are approx. two inches. from can to PCB.

Understood the point.
What is designers opinion on that collaboration of caps (470uF Ele and 60uF PP)? I think you're the first who tried that tandem on C8 since I do not remember anyone else here on thread who reported such mod.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
would that missing 0.05 make a difference? The mravica is very small which is why I am considering it.

Did you ever consider using a battery to supply the bias voltage? If it was dismissed I would appreciate reading your reasons.

Please do not take my question as "second guessing" - I know one of your objectives was to make something that would require a minimum of fuss, other than having to measure the FETs, which of course, is one of the reasons the thing sounds so good.

The 0.05 won't make a difference

Yes I did consider batteries or chips and I decided on capacitor filtered LEDS fed by JFET CCS on at least comparable quality grounds. Its a dedicated shunt stabilizer there for the base bias not a quick solution. You could apply different things and make subtly different tone but that circuitry section was not an afterthought at all and it gave me the tone I was after.