Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I still have 0.01uF Vishay MKP F1778 which left from my Main AC Filter project. They rated X2. Based on your explanation, I can use these with no issues. Right?

F1778310M2DCB0 Vishay / Roederstein | Mouser
X2 and 210Vac rating.
I have never seen such a low voltage X2 capacitor.
I thought all X2 were rated >=270Vac !

This may be designed for use exclusively in the USA and Japan. Certainly not in Europe, nor any other 220/240Vac supply.

Edit.
Looked up the datasheet linked in Mouser page.

It is X2 and rated to 310Vac, NOT 210Vac !!!!!!
Again Mouser have made a typo that they have not bothered to check and remove.

Last edited:
How about "A" on attached picture?

Attachments

• Snubber.jpg
    Snubber.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 304
Based on what I saw, BKM is to use snubber parallel to the trany primary winding right after main switch (Fig.2). Parallel connection to the main switch (Fig.1) might introduce some small current (leakage) trough cap and resistor when switch is in open position.

Also, I do see that Nelson Pass used 0.033uF and 10 Ohm Thermistors in his First Watt amp PSU in position pictured in Fig.2. So, beside over-themp, this thermisrors are created RC with 0.0033uF cap. So, same method as in Fig.2.
Please comment.

Attachments

• Switch snubber.jpg
    Switch snubber.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 333
  • F5PSUschematic.jpg
    F5PSUschematic.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 330
same method as in Fig.2.
No. it is completely different.

The Pass capacitor is straight across the L&N of the mains. It is an interference attenuator. It combines with the source and cable impedance to create a low pass filter.

The CL60, one on each 110/120Vac primary, is a permanently in place soft start for the transformer. Better to arrange an automatic time delayed bypass of the added resistance of CL60 in the primary circuit .

Last edited:
After our discussion and after reading relevant articles, I desired that it is portably better not to use any arc suppression snubbers or caps on our low current devices.. They might create more troubles than to solve issues. They more needed on high current relays when on/off rate is high. Nick, do you use these snubbers on your builds or just dissent quality main power on/off switch is good enough ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
55.5V is the theoretical limit not to burn Q2x. It does not always burn on edge of its spec but better cut 5V-10V with 3W power resistor between bridge and smoothing capacitor. It will also make an EMI filter and will bring Q1x sink's temperature down.