Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now why do you people call this project "Simplistic"? It is very very far from being so.

Simplistic is something like Figure 1 here:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49720.pdf

Has anyone built that and compared it in audio quality with the NJFET design?

Tea-Bag has kindly sent me all the information I need. It would be much more expensive than what I was planning to.

I built figure 127, but with a lower impedance feedback network (Douglas Self's values). It's running off a DCB1's shunt supply and I have to say it works quite well. I'm looking forward to compare it to Salas' phono stage. I built an earlier version of the simplistic phono: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/129126-simplistic-njfet-riaa-80.html#post2223970 I hope to get around to it soon, there are just too many ongoing projects atm...

Last edited:

Well, I meant a black & white pcb, one you could actually use to make your own if you want to.

There's not even a file of any kind to use on a pcb design program, which I expected to have on a DIY forum.

I'm not sure which version to use on my Grado 8MZ cart. Apparently it's the 36dB version, as my Grado output is speced as 3.5mV.

Hi Salas,

I have some strange behave with my current stereo setup when I use TT and FSP with sub. I use an excellent floor standing speakers for high+mid and subwoofer to sharpen low a bit. Subwoofer is getting Line-In from tube Preamp out. It has internal Low-pass filter to separate low frequency from the rest of the signal. Now, everything is fine when I play CD pleyer. When I start TT + FSP, sub starts an oscillation by getting saturated (like bum-bum-bum.....) So, cutoff starts the action.
Is it too much gain or other reason?
Any help are welcome.
Sub spec:
Power output: 1000W continuous
Input impedance: 33kOhm

Some sensitivity on subsonic frequencies from the usual arm+cart resonance and record eccentricity, or some system ground issue? Is there a below 20HZ cut off button to engage on that active sub?

I'm not sure if it's cuts in that frequency, but I assume it is power cutoff protection like clipping. It is like 3-5 time a sec doing wow-wow-wow....
That sub is old and very known one: B&W ASW825

BTW, what is your opinion about audio grade fuse installed in FSP. I see some people are skeptical about these parts performances and some are saying they really improve sound farther. What I know "the facto" , they are quite pricey, but I hesitate to try since I need to buy it first. At least one...$30+.
Do you use such parts in your setup?