Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did you perceive smoother treble after the mod? That is what I mainly got. You are on a good sonic road I believe. Are you content by the performance in this early stage? Listened for some hours? After 50hours total, the shunts will mellow down and in less extent the phono.

I have less than 50 hours total so I do not want to be definitive on my opinion, but I am sure I heard Dusty' s voice even better than before and violins seem to have a better tone. More true. Bass seems the same.
I will buy from Mouser these then. Even Hammond europe replied availability in 3 weeks.
Also looking for a very good pre to built next. Suggestions?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My best is my 6V6. But with 6V6 you will not easily find non microphonic tubes especially on 96dB speakers. Its a heresy of mine using power tubes for line duty. The 12B4 made exactly with the schematics you will see in the link will amaze you, especially in conjunction with the HV shunt. And its very silent.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My 6V6 line.

Attachments

• 6v6.jpg
    6v6.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 567
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
12B4 line. (Using Cascode anode Mosfet CCS).

B+ in both line stages is regulated. Maida is easier to make for dissipation and size, but HV shunt is simply superior. Don't use classic passive filters if you want to get really low noise and superior performance as I get. Only good B+ solid state regs. Tube rectification can be combined non the less.

Attachments

• 12b4.jpg
    12b4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 588
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for your trust. Those stuff will really satisfy you, they are fruits of long serious developments, evaluations and cross checks. I am about to Actively anode load my 6V6 too, and see if it will take it further.

Attachments

• 6v6anodecasc.jpg
    6v6anodecasc.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 559
You never stop!
I' ve heard quite a few sytems in my life, but most of them were lifeless. Remember going to hifi shows trying really hard to find something decent.
That' s why I started building my own. When I try something and it works for me and some others, I know it' s good. So if you like something, most probably it' s good!
Thanks again.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No I haven't used such alternatives yet. Just BJT cascode and enhancement mode T0 240 Mosfets. I would like to get some depletion mode since they don't need the LEDS, hence more practical, and compare. The concept remains the same of course. So someone has to maintain the operational point and check for subtleties regarding different cascode parts. BTW 10M45 can have oscillation tendencies I have read.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Just replaced R6 by a jfet and the sound is much more sweet without loosing any detail.

I am hearing chet baker and his trumpet is much more lifelike now. Also his voice is crearer and with more "grunt".
I believe it is a fundamental mod to this shunt.

PS: I still have some hissing and spiting noises after power up... I must review the shunt to Riaa wiring...:smash:

Ricardo