Simplistic NJFET RIAA

If input 2sk170 is with high Idss R13 have high voltage drop and swing on R4 is not enough. I think that Buzzforb have this situation.

I can parallel 2sk170 with lower Idss and put lower sorse resistor and on that way gain is higher with corect voltage on R13. Maybe 2sk170GR is much better solution, like on MC stage at XONO

TP1 is top of Jfet. TP2 is top of 2.2K resistor.

Changing the BC did nothing. What is the better route for solving the issue?
Lowering Rs or Increasing R13. MAy not have a lot of options with R13. I beieve i have some 2.2K from an old build, but that would seem extreme. I have more B+ if needed, just didn't know if there is ceiling?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TP1 is top of Jfet. TP2 is top of 2.2K resistor.

Changing the BC did nothing. What is the better route for solving the issue?
Lowering Rs or Increasing R13. MAy not have a lot of options with R13. I beieve i have some 2.2K from an old build, but that would seem extreme. I have more B+ if needed, just didn't know if there is ceiling?

You did not inform us on your R2, R3, R13 values and also check if you have a problem with VR1.

I am suing 2sk369
R2,3 are 3.9 and are dropping 33mV.
R13 is 1.2K, per the bild guide.
Vr1 is working
I built it up according to the newest build guide. the only changes i made are in the ouput buffer scetion. I dropped standard buffer and used a different option in order to lower coupling cap. Similar to what Rush did.

Thanks Salas, that`s what i need, voltage across Q3.

Buzzforb voltage on R13 is defined with LEDs reference voltage and B+. This voltage and resistance of R13 give current. If current through jfet-s is too small voltage on R4 will be too high. You must increase current jfet-s with smaller source resistor

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am suing 2sk369
R2,3 are 3.9 and are dropping 33mV.
R13 is 1.2K, per the bild guide.
Vr1 is working
I built it up according to the newest build guide. the only changes i made are in the ouput buffer scetion. I dropped standard buffer and used a different option in order to lower coupling cap. Similar to what Rush did.

What voltage across K369 each?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi folks

I am planning to connect the FSP integrated to a MUSES72320 http://www.akouo.at/akouo/downloads/volume-select-datasheet-en.pdf. The chip has an average input impedance of 20k and the Akouo boards have an additional possibility to tune eventual channel variance down to 10k. Normally they differ only a few percent though, so maybe 19k is realistic.

What opt cap size would you go for? 10k gives a -3dB @ 7,23Hz and 20k @ 3,62Hz with the speced 2,2 uF.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tube preamp. coupling and output cap. Not sure about the coupling, but the output cap was failrly large, in the 3uF + range, i believe. Didnt pay much attention, but large one was easily noticed due to unusual shape that you get with Rike's. Small one was traditional shape. Ill ask him and see what he had in there before.

I have a 2.2uf Rike on the output of my MM FSP.
It is well detailed, and certainly a little more organic sounding.
Regarding resistors, I like the PTF65 and 55 Dale resistors. Not easy to get a lot of values, but I find that low ppm resistors sound better. They are not cheap, but they are less than any texas instrument product.