Simplistic NJFET RIAA

I cant say that have heard a great difference in resistors unless you take a big step down, say from 50ppm to 2-5ppm. I would narrow it further in importance to places that play a significant role in the signal. I would play with 47k signal and caps, as these have shown to be the places of greatest influence for me. A couple of friends and I will compare the full Salas rig to Salas Riaa and Jung superreg soon. dont know why. Full Salas Rig sounded excellent, but then again, you know diy.

I cant say that have heard a great difference in resistors unless you take a big step down, say from 50ppm to 2-5ppm. I would narrow it further in importance to places that play a significant role in the signal. I would play with 47k signal and caps, as these have shown to be the places of greatest influence for me. A couple of friends and I will compare the full Salas rig to Salas Riaa and Jung superreg soon. dont know why. Full Salas Rig sounded excellent, but then again, you know diy.

I would love to see a comparison between the jung reg and the salas shunt. I have seen some speculation that the jung reg isnt as good at these higher voltages vs lower voltages due to the ic needed at these higher voltages (ad817, etc). It would be really neat to try both and see what the differences are. Maybe throw a lm317 in there as well for a baseline. I would bet on the shunt, especially because its mounted on the phono boards, but this sounds really interesting.

OPA 604 is no slouch in performance terms. Not one to say what is best any more. Just about seeing if the different combination is interesting. With a sensing output, i wouldnt expect huge difference in sound over leaded input, but then again. I have not tried the onboard version. Will probably try that next.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Welwyn are excellent. The FSP has integrated tuned in regs. In external reg experiments on own realized build you can even try a dedicated Reflektor shunt with LM329 string Ref and CCSed mirror for 0.6mOhm Zo 10Hz-100kHz flat. Remind me in the simplistic reg thread to make you a schematic for your own voltage level.

I noticed that thread. Haven't paid much attention as I have an Oppo105 now and the need for small voltage stuff is no longer on my mind. I would love to try a higher voltage version if you think it is a worthwhile experiment.

When we compare the stages, we will have a Linn, Sota, and Rega. Different levels of ortofon cartidges. Rage is entry level. Not sure what cartridge it will have. I inherited the Sota when brother bought the Linn. If i can find the time to finish stuff it should be an enjoyable experiment.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I noticed that thread. Haven't paid much attention as I have an Oppo105 now and the need for small voltage stuff is no longer on my mind. I would love to try a higher voltage version if you think it is a worthwhile experiment.

When we compare the stages, we will have a Linn, Sota, and Rega. Different levels of ortofon cartidges. Rage is entry level. Not sure what cartridge it will have. I inherited the Sota when brother bought the Linn. If i can find the time to finish stuff it should be an enjoyable experiment.

Its a current feedback simplistic shunt concept, one stage simpler than the BIB even, worth a try.

Have you heared those RC55-65 in similar applications?

I have used them for riaa in the fsp for a while. for the moment I test a combination of miniohms and z-vars. The welwyns are allright. Magnetic? Maybe but the PS is a bit away as is everything else that might interfere.
I also use them in my mezmerise and can't complain :).

I'm very pleased with the SQ so far, fsp is now second in line if I get higher end parts over from projects - then I save them for the next overhaul :) and if it gets better - good. If it stays the same - then the parts might do better somewhere else.

I suggest that you start your journey with the rc55's as they are very neutral.

Regards