Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Really can't tell bcs Rush put that together, I only told him about the configuration idea. If he does not read maybe PM him?

It worked great, no hum.
I can find the diagram when I get home tonight and post, but in a nut shell, used a common ground from both supplies in outboard chasis to single point in preamp.
So that was +/- 17 volts for DCB1 and +38 volts (or whatever it was raw) for RIAA and the common ground = 4 wires.

Rush

It worked great, no hum.
I can find the diagram when I get home tonight and post, but in a nut shell, used a common ground from both supplies in outboard chasis to single point in preamp.
So that was +/- 17 volts for DCB1 and +38 volts (or whatever it was raw) for RIAA and the common ground = 4 wires.

Rush

Here is my very rough white-out drawing.

Rush

Attachments

• Salas RIAA DCB1 revised.jpg
    Salas RIAA DCB1 revised.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 339
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have two transformers that I can use with the FSP.A Toroidy Toroid which gives 43vdc unloaded and a Selectronique R core which gives 48vdc again unloaded.Both have 15v secondaries connected in series the toroid giving 33v and the R core 38v unloaded.
Which would be the best to use bearing in mind that I have been using the FSP with the toroid with no problems.The heatsinks barely get warm.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
R Cruz,
If you believe in such things, the Siemens Sikorels are nice in the Prereg. May I ask what bypass caps you are using the PSU as well as coupling caps in the RIAA. I will be trying the Audyn copper next for output cap on RIAA. It will be in combinatin with Obbligato Gold interstage.

Hi Buzz

After many combinations I settled with Ft-3 interstage riaa cap.

The best output cap for the riaa is undoubtly the Clarity cap MR 600v..... Outstanding

For the bass cap in the riaa I use obbligato gold or copper (same thing ?)

For high freq cap in the riaa I usually use Relcap copper on polystyrene.

For bypass caps in the psu I use ussr K71 styros

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Rcore is an Selectronique branded Schilcar(made in India) which despite being a 15v secondary reads nearer to 18v even when loaded.I also have a Chinese made R core also with 15v secondary which stays within a volt of that whether loaded or not.Which is the better toleranced?
Thanks for the replies.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Rcore is an Selectronique branded Schilcar(made in India) which despite being a 15v secondary reads nearer to 18v even when loaded.I also have a Chinese made R core also with 15v secondary which stays within a volt of that whether loaded or not.Which is the better toleranced?
Thanks for the replies.

I suspect they are calculated for 220VAC primary originally hence the "healthy" secondary output. That big Indian electrical components company was set up by the Japanese for their Rcore production department a long time ago so they could be following old 220VAC standard designs without risking to modify.