Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Finally my my FSP found a decent home :)

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_2491.JPG
    IMG_2491.JPG
    682.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2505.JPG
    IMG_2505.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 305
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
have used the 33ev for over 2 years and are very pleased with it,
I upgraded from AT-OC 9 and am not looking back

The 33 has a mutch fuller body and i prefeer the "wholeness" insted of exceptional performance in some marginal frequency

I believe the 33PTG is in the same street as mine,

Per

You affirmation about the 33 series which I was eying for a while helped to tip the scales so I took the decision to finally try one out. It came in from Japan today. Its the AT-33PTG/II. Took enough work to reset the arm about right when moving on from the Denon. Seems VTA sensitive and load sensitive. There are still some geometrical details I want to revisit. Only few Lps I played as for now. Nonetheless it greets with a realistic and smooth nature along with very good tracking, throws a wide sound not in expense of ambient clues leading to enhanced resolution. Circa 150 Ohm load looks its a comfort zone. But its very early to fix the set up or to know all details. Feels like a modern, neutral enough but not cold cart which hints to the better ($$) categories for less. Of course not with bombastic vintage colors and thickness of tone like Denons in the bit rough or in all glory like with SPUs, but honest and grainless. More like a Lyra sound but to the cooler and bit less colorful side of things.

Attachments

• AT33PTGII_At_Home.jpg
    AT33PTGII_At_Home.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 299
You affirmation about the 33 series which I was eying for a while helped to tip the scales so I took the decision to finally try one out. It came in from Japan today. Its the AT-33PTG/II. Took enough work to reset the arm about right when moving on from the Denon. Seems VTA sensitive and load sensitive. There are still some geometrical details I want to revisit. Only few Lps I played as for now. Nonetheless it greets with a realistic and smooth nature along with very good tracking, throws a wide sound not in expense of ambient clues leading to enhanced resolution. Circa 150 Ohm load looks its a comfort zone. But its very early to fix the set up or to know all details. Feels like a modern, neutral enough but not cold cart which hints to the better ($$) categories for less. Of course not with bombastic vintage colors and thickness of tone like Denons in the bit rough or in all glory like with SPUs, but honest and grainless. More like a Lyra sound but to the cooler and bit less colorful side of things.

Nice salas. Keep us posted on your experiences with the cart.
Ok, a little bit of envy... ;)

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No voltage between TP1 TP2 means TP2 to GND = VLEDS to GND. You had 6.5V TP2 to GND so ~LEDS, correct. All it takes is to engage VR2x. 4.5V TP1 TP2 means you shifted the centering to liking, OK. (TP2 extends to C3 input lead bcs there is essentially no DC drop over R14).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice salas. Keep us posted on your experiences with the cart.

Measures good +/-1.5dB including little but controlled and tame top HF octave rise. Boosts the power range 100-500Hz a bit. Certainly a touch of "voicing" there like Denon does. Listened to classical today, open and smooth, has perspective and information, no grain, fast, very good. The HF is particularly resolving, though not edgy. Traces like a champ. Seems like I will be staying at 145 Ohm load as I find it better focused in my TT and system like that. (220R//430R)//47K 2nd and 3rd position ON at the DIP switch.
A bargain from non Ebay Japanese dealers including EMS courier, provided that your local customs officer had gone fishing that day. I have seen asking 490 to 600 EUR on Ebay incl. shipping on seldom offerings as grey import available from EU locations. I.e. 60-100% up. At such prices someone should listen to a Benz ACE SL/SM too which ain't that far anymore.

Cool, give it some hrs (mine loosened afte about 50ish)
150ohm load, could be ideal yes, have tried higher but settled at 100 in my previous Riaa (P-075mk2) it dident have a 150ohm setting thou.

When you where testing load below and above 150 how did it affect the sound ? (im still in doubt about the amount of bass , not to worry)

It is fun to see how detailed the simplistic are, the resolution is massive but its still not all all "analytic" its just playing music

Fun

Last edited: