Simplistic NJFET RIAA

What is the preamp and amp gain, the speakers sensitivity? Seems like you got spare enough voltage amplification in that system. You mentioned once it is a tubes based system? Now with the new resistors the phono is going to hold back by 4dB and it should be tracking along the CD on average, but still it seems like a trigger happy system gain. When you use 40% on CD is it as loud as you can stand, or simply as loud as it satisfies your listening habits?

Happy Christmas and New Year!

40% of my tube pre-amp is very loud and I usually listen CDs on its 30% or so. It has 20dB total gain and it's connected to monolocks amps also tube based with 20W per channel.
Triode Production - Triode Corporation
Triode Production - Triode Corporation

My speakers have 89dB sensitivity: Acoustic Zen Adagio

I think my system has a lot of power and I use not more than 40% max of its budget.

I also need to add that I modified both pre and amps a bit:
Pre-amp: I replaced output caps for V-Cap OIMP and re-tube it for all Sylvania (NOS from 70s). Rectifier tubes are swapped for Philips Miniwatt (NOS from 60s).
Monoblocks: I replaced output caps for V-Cap CuTF and pre-stage tubes are British Mullards from 70s. 300B are still Chanise original that came with the unit.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Best wishes for Christmas and the new year!

Yes, 250mV line sensitivity for 20dB gain in the preamp does explain it. The power amp is not insensitive also. 800mV. Most classic tube circuits are high gain when NFB is avoided and the tubes μ is usually strong. They look like nicely executed gear. Should be costly enough. What about the integrated phono in the preamp? Optional or standard? If there already do you ever use it, any good?

P.S. Made in Japan?

Yes, it is handcrafted in Japan.
Relatively small company run by some electronic engineer retire.
Unfortunately, It is not cheap!:(
Yes, it is standard and I used integrated MM phono, but my cartridge is MC and it is not enough gain there. So, I assembled Cu Step UP transformers made by Stevens & Billington (1:5, 1:10, 1:20 - no load resistor). It is nice and alternative to my new JFET, but not enough "live" and particularly week in bass area.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A friend visited unexpectedly today after Christmas dinner for coffee and he insisted we take the FSP to his place for a spin afterwards. He has a VPI Classic with a ZYX cart. Also Harbeth Super HL5 driven by an Audio Research VT-200 version A. Not a bad idea I recheck its tonality and resolution on acclaimed for balance home monitor speakers via some very well reviewed TT and amp I thought.

Well, no problems again. I found everything correctly proportioned with the recommended values in the guide. My friend grew especially enthusiastic on the FSP himself. Live in general feel and very resolute with especially good treble and bass he said.:)

Attachments

• Xmas_FSP_Mate.JPG_.jpg
    Xmas_FSP_Mate.JPG_.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 346
Hi Salas,

I would like to integrate VU meters into my Folded box.
I use the same one in my BHL: JLM Audio Shop - VU2 Stereo VU buffer kit

First of all, do you see any issue with that as soon as it is a high quality once made in Australia?
Second... I need Voltage supply for that PCB and I'm thinking to grub it from one of the channels coming to the box from my Raw DC.
That device uses about 40-60mA.
Please let me know your opinion.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I don't know, I haven't used any in combination with phonos. If you did not notice any detrimental interaction on the BHL about subjective quality, I would guess its safe with the FSP too. You would also need some LM317 for it after the raw tap it seems.