Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Hi Salas,

Can't find 2SK117 from 4-5mA.
I measured all 2SK117 received from GB and they all circa from 5.27 to 5.82 mA.
So, I choose closed matched pairs and doped them into Q 2,3,5.
Luckily, I found 4.29/4.31 pair in my own stock and used these for Q7.
R3x and R6x changed per manual to 6.2K and 33R.
Is it OK?

Last edited:
Hi Salas.

How important is it to use the heathsink proposed in the BOM? Now I have a bunch of sinks a bit higher than the proposed ones but they will fit. I have no clue of their efficiency though... A rough guess is 5-C/W'ish based on comparing the looks of them against other types. I reckon I'll have to test and monitor the temperature. When you say one of the regs gets quite hot - how hot is that in centigrades?

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas.

How important is it to use the heathsink proposed in the BOM? Now I have a bunch of sinks a bit higher than the proposed ones but they will fit. I have no clue of their efficiency though... A rough guess is 5-C/W'ish based on comparing the looks of them against other types. I reckon I'll have to test and monitor the temperature. When you say one of the regs gets quite hot - how hot is that in centigrades?

Regards

5C/W sounds good. In general, if you will not climb more than 25C above ambient on the Q6x's sink you are in spec.

Matching done Phuu.. 225 in total
2SK170BL from from old stock (Mouser 16 ea) and 100ea from Schuro-Elektronik

2SK117GR from Simplistic GB and old stock (BIB GB)

measures quite good, pairs is no probl to make quads is not so easy, (its possible though)

results for 2SK170 to the left all batched in groups by 5%

Attachments

• 1170.jpg
    1170.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I believe that matching using IDSS only works within the same "batch".

Depends on Vgs (off) correlation for matching gain if different enough but normally it does not vary too much between batches so to give hassle after degeneration as I have seen on the curve tracer. There is always R8 to trim if in a situation of no close enough 2nd stage jfets. It takes some careful measurements of course.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Example:

In this one when using good idss matches with no other parameters noted, I got 63dB dead on for both channels with 48R and 48.5R Rs via trimmers on the K170 second stages. I.e. no significant compensation for same Rdrain voltage drop. This older p2p proto has 3 K369 and just 12 Ohm enR when cold or ~0.45nVSQrtHz of input noise. You can see a V1.2R regulator at 250mA also. When I averaged it for 131072 FFT it gave -105dBV at 20Hz noise floor. Plays for a VDH Colibri gold coils type on another system.

Attachments

• LMC63_FS_Upgrade.jpg
    LMC63_FS_Upgrade.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 309
Hi Salas,
1. What is the approximate gain of the first stage (Q1, Q2, Q3)?
2. What is the expected voltage on Q3 collector (TP2, or Q3, R4, R14) when the voltage between TP1 and TP2 is set to 3.6 Volt?
3. Do you have SNR measurements, even approximate, or simulated, for the entire folded simplistic and possibly also for the first stage (Q1, Q2, Q3) in itself?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. About 45dB in the 63dB highest sensitivity on the PCB version
2. 4-4.2V in respect to ground
3. I have overall FFT for the 63dB highest sensitivity on the PCB version that I had posted once before. Non weighed, non averaged 65536 FFT.

So, this one has all the audio band for you to correlate any portion.

Attachments

• LMC_1.png
    LMC_1.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 305