Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So I am thinking if centering at 12.5mA IDSS then the Rs will be bit higher but not too high for the same gain and able to bring +/- 0.5mA samples together with the degeneration it will provide. Then again when having so many around 11mA they should be the preferred ones not to be adding extra noise from Rs. It would not be an issue if it was not for maintaining some currents in value and proportion so to center it easily always.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
P.S. Another way is to measure their resistance from drain to source. If you will do a check you will notice that same IDSS pairs show the same RDS. The higher the IDSS the lower the RDS also.

Self explanatory. DMM in Ohm mode and you measure across drain to source.

After measuring my last batch of k170, I found some deviations of Vp even in matched Idss pairs.

I know that we should match for Idss and Vp in order to get the same gain figures.

According to the formula Rds = Vp / (2 x Idss) found in those papers, a 7.55 Idss fet with 0619 Vp should have Rds = 41

I just measured the same specimen with a DMM and got Rds = 39.9 ohm

Admitting the deviations are not significative, I would say we could match those fets for same Idss and Rds using a DMM. :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Another one up and running.

4 x k170 input fets
K72-6 Teflon 15n caps
K71-4 Polystyrene 47n caps
Full on second stage buffer (with fet ccs)

Now listening with a DL160.... no clipping... super silent... dynamic... Tone seems correct, must let it settle for a while, then retrim voltages and serious listenning ahead.

Attachments

• Wallis 2 4 x k170.jpg
    Wallis 2 4 x k170.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 276
Joined 2006
Paid Member
First channel worked right away.... the second one was build during rush hour so I was not able to set correct voltages on 1st stage.... I had .3v offset in the input and too much current on the fets (150mV Vdrop on the Rs).... I decided to remove the fets and place one at the time so I could track the culprit..... One bad fet I found (maybe due to too much heat).

After that, I had to cover the four trannies with a special "enclosure" so they should share the same heat... now music :)