Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Chalk: Congrats for debugging it. Why wrap it in a chip pre reg anyway? Adding circuitry... keep it simple, it has its own input insulation via its CCS.

Milos: Your shunt Mosfet ain't open. Check orientation, health, 4 wires circuit to load, check if you got drop on R1.

Check orientation, health, 4 wires circuit to load, check if you got drop on R1.
Orientation OK.
Health: all parts are brand new and both channels behave the same. I doubt that something is broken. It is mainly P2P, a bit p.i.a. to check, I leave it for the end if everything else (if anything) fails.
4 wires twisted connected to the load.
R1 drop 1.5V.
I feed it with 36VDC (10000uF per a ch. filtered)
Trimmer has no function, turning it in either direction produces only slight variation in voltage output which is ~3V.
Q4 on either ch. wont open.
Layout attached.
Dotted lines=jumpers.
I have no idea what to look for after about 10 hours of checking and staring :)

Attachments

• SHUNT.jpg
    SHUNT.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
the interface between the device and heatsink must be smooth, (not necessarily shiny).
This requires that both the device and the heatsink are flat and have no ragged edges that could cut through an insulating layer.
Graphite pads not silicone as I wrote above. Yes, they are smooth and no rough edges or anything to prevent good heat transfer and insulation...

Both ch. are now OK. The problem was with those graphite insulation pads, not cold solder. Once I changed the insulation pads to silicone pads+silicone grease I lost all weird behavior. The circuit needs some time to stabilize (about 5-10min), after that , it is rock solid voltage. I connected the shunt to the o-scope, and it shaws perfect dc, no oscillations what so ever. Now I have to wait for some parts to come in from Parts ConneXion, than I'll do the RIAA
part.
Salas thank you very much indeed, once more.
Cheers