Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Repopulated Semi's twice now. Both times the board lit up and started to regulate. The first time I unplugged it and it never lit up again. The second time I ramped down the voltage using the variac. It is surviving. Need to understand why. Unloaded the PS produces 62Vdc.

Loaded the PS is producing 55V filtered DC into the regulator. It regulates well at 42VDC out, however, I have some noise on the output. ABout 3mVrms in the MHz region. see attached. I think that part of my problem is I am only using twisted wire for the sense. I will replace that shortly.

Nothing is getting hot, just a comfortable warm.

Attachments

• DSC02602.JPG
    DSC02602.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC02601.JPG
    DSC02601.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC02604.JPG
    DSC02604.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 243
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Repopulated Semi's twice now. Both times the board lit up and started to regulate. The first time I unplugged it and it never lit up again. The second time I ramped down the voltage using the variac. It is surviving. Need to understand why. Unloaded the PS produces 62Vdc.

Loaded the PS is producing 55V filtered DC into the regulator. It regulates well at 42VDC out, however, I have some noise on the output. ABout 3mVrms in the MHz region. see attached. I think that part of my problem is I am only using twisted wire for the sense. I will replace that shortly.

Nothing is getting hot, just a comfortable warm.

Congratulations:cheers:

Don't forget the coaxial for remote sense could you use a small one RG179 type

Shielded cable for sense actually increased resonance. Now at 4mVrms and in the 4-8mHz region. Error amp is 2N5457 with Idss of 2.5mA.

Watching th scope as I bring the voltage up, I see low level noise <<1mVrms untill it starts to regulate. At 42V the trace shows it starting to oscillate in the MhZ region at the levels described above.

P.S. Corrected units on Idss

No change at 100% and 200% (66pF and 99pF). I measured off of my scope. Fundemental resonance is 4.8mHz with higher order harmonics spread into it. Fundemental is 25mVpp

I will try the zobel next. When you say termination I assume you mean to ground. If I understand, you want me to run a 47uF across output.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Good question Andrew, I will measure CCS current in a minute. I can't easily measure shunt current however.

I put 33uF standard ESR in for Zobel with minimal impact. freq the same, less harmonic spread however. I will put the zobel back in and measure current.

Minimal impact there with such a decisive change in the termination type and value makes me suspicious for a CCS resonance. If it was simply noise should have changed a lot or gone. Parallel one resistor on CCS Mosfet's gate stopper, so it goes half value. Changes something? Also does the decoupler on Vin affects? VR1/R1=CCS current BTW.