Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I do earth psu gnd to chassis, and use a chassis point for TT gnd.

Channel left sounds music but not clear like if was a kind of bad contact, the sounds is like a continous "hum".

Channel right don't sounds nothing, only sounds like a continous "hum" without music. I open the box to be sure about connections.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I changed the dual LSK389 (Q2+Q5) & now I have music in channel right too, but now the noise is increased.

Will be possible due to the AC electricity inside the RIAA box or long cables between regs & RIAA or long cables between RIAA & RCA connectors?

Could help to reduce the noise doing "remote sensing" in the regs.?

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You will sort it out sooner or later. Those things as in your hands. If you will have any plausible data, like how it is connected to the cart, weird voltages etc. we can help.

I do a new measurement after change Q2 & Q5 in RIGHT channel the new values are as follows:

LEDs 7-7.3V
LEFT 7.35V
RIGHT 7.39V
How can reduce the voltage to optimal value 7-7.3V?

R17 voltage across
LEFT 345mV
RIGHT 338mV
Wich is the right or optimal value?

R10/Q2-GND
LEFT 10V
RIGHT 10V
That's OK both channels

R1/Q3-GND
LEFT 11,5V
RIGHT 41,6V
How can reduce it till right value 11.5V? with mine R1 trimmer only can reduce it till 39.2V, is possible Q3 (BC550C) is burned?

R7 voltage across
LEFT 10.14
RIGHT 10.13
That's Ok both channels but I if possible I want to kow the optimal value?

DRAIN Q5/GND
LEFT 21.4V
RIGHT 21.1V
That's Ok both channels but If possible I want to know the optimal value?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
R1/Q3-GND
LEFT 11,5V
RIGHT 41,6V
How can reduce it till right value 11.5V? with mine R1 trimmer only can reduce it till 39.2V, is possible Q3 (BC550C) is burned?

That's Ok both channels but If possible I want to know the optimal value?

All other values perfectly adequate. That 41.6V indicates no real current is drawn. Either the BC550C Q3 or the two paralleled fets underneath are dead.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Finally I used a lot of mine special R1 trimmer.:)

Yes your phono is a easy way to start, I do because I see few pasive & active components, if was complicated sure I never started the project.

Bad news, double paralleled njfets has gone becase I changed BC550C & voltage follows the same:mad: the only good thing is that don't need to solder only replace the LSK389

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not that important, but...
Take a DVM, set for max VAC, probes (forget colour) on pin 2 and 3 of the Xfrm: you get something around 225-235 VAC. That is Vin
BE CAREFUL! High Voltage! Don't short anything!

Then set the DVM for 200 VAC, probes on pin 6 and 7 and you get the Vout

Assuming you've wired the Xfrm as per the drawing you attached.

P.S. the Preamp should be on

P.P.S. you have now two shunt regs connected to one Xfrm, right? Thus total I should be around 2 * 200 mA or so....

Vin 228V AC
Vout 42V AC
Load 2 channels x 140mA each

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I changed double njfet Q1+Q7 for a new one LSK389 9,74 Idss & 9,72 Idss, I checked & left the optimal voltages as recommended, so voltages both channels ok, channel right don't sound, less hum in Left channel due to the new configuration:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1 Tx + 1 PSU one box
1 Reg + 2 Phono RIAA other box

No I only have seven LSK389 on hand with the folowing Idss:
1 9,32+9,25
2 9,29+9,28
3 9,23+9,29
4 8,05+8,24
5 7,83+7,82
6 7,42+7,50
7 7,25+7,02

I am in mind changing the setup for SK170BL because I have a batch of one hundred.

Please help?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since you got your bias voltages right, you have gone a long way. 1. Hum. Shielded coaxial cable for input and output. 2. One channel no sound. Exchange inputs, outputs to make sure it isn't something not giving or passing signal further in the rest of the system. Else see what connector or component in the audio path is missing a connection on the silent board. Use DVM in Ohm mode. Much better box and elements configuration by the way.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I changed & the Right channel don't sound, I changed to reverse & both channels sound. 2nd time changed again & right channel don't sound, reversed & both channels sound. 3rd time connected left to left & right to right & both sounds finally ok. Seems like inside the phono RIAA the connections are reversed, I will open to be sure & will change the cables for coaxials as kind advice of Salas.

The TT cables or the cables between Phono & Preamp are right, due to the fact that are the same I used between the TT Piccolo MC HeadAmp from Jim Hagerman & MM Rotel several months without any kind of problem. The TT cables are the originals Linn, the cable between the Piccolo & the MM Rotel is this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I forget to tell an important subjective opinion: the Salas Phono NJFET RIAA + Shunt Reg. sounds very natural, open, very equilibrated (don't sound more the bass, or the mids or the trebles), now I go fast to change the cables for other coaxials to avoid hum.

Mine first vinyl to listen: