Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

Last week I built and tested left channel and was rejoycing about it´s sound and absence of hum.
Yesterday I finished right channel, installed it and it works but the left one stoped.
I read -35mv in the output

Between R10 (4,7k) and Q2 I read only 0.3v instead of 7,9v I have on the working channel.

What can be wrong ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have power 28v and the voltages in the first stage are ok.

The problem seems related with the riaa 2nd stage.

I have 26v on top of Q5 (output buffer) where I read 14v on the working channel

I have 0.3v on top of Q2 where I should have 7,9v

measuring R5 (without power on) I get 1M on the working riaa and 45k on the dead one. (I desoldered R5 and it measures 1M but in place it measures 45k)

Can there be a fault in C4 ?

Ricardo

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I'm not up to date with all that you tried. But I think it's the transistors. If you haven't checked them, you should. For jfet just make sure with a 9V battery that you got the proper Idss, that's how I test them. For npn, it's enough to check with the diode tester between B-E and B-C pins, one way street :D

I don't think a board that worked all of a sudden turns bad.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
yes... the strange part is that it played perfectly before I installed the second channel (right).

Now the new channel works with the lacquer... and the other one has strange behaviour in second stage..... I am wondering about the board because lifting one leg of R5 and using the dmm I get 1M. If I touch the board with the lifted leg, the reading goes down to 900 and if I insert it on the hole (without soldering) the reading goes to 400.