Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Poty, thanks for the idea. So I have put together 2 pieces of DN2540 as shown?

Attachments

• SSHV_2xDN2540.jpg
    SSHV_2xDN2540.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 326
Salas,

I rebuilt a blown supply and have a problem. I feed it 240v DC with a target of 180v DC. My target current is 50ma. I can adjust the current fine with R4. However I cannot get above 140v DC using R11, with the current at 50ma. I can get higher DC voltage if I adjust R4 to get 60ma. The output voltage does change with R4 adjustment. I did have to replace the LED. I suspect that the replacement is the issue. I think it is a 20ma LED. Would the wrong LED cause this problem.

John

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The ccs in the reg will be a steady thing for its limit so better put an in line small value measuring resistor in the client application itself, make an op amp comparator measuring the drop across it against a ref voltage so if passed it saturates and opens a relay

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The ccs in the reg will be a steady thing for its limit so better put an in line small value measuring resistor in the client application itself, make an op amp comparator measuring the drop across it against a ref voltage so if passed it saturates and opens a relay

Cathode resistor on upper cathode follower maybe. Can even split it in two and use drop on the lower not risking parasitics or so direct on the cathode.

Salas,

In message 4493 you say that Q4 should measure in the kilo Ohm range. When I test it from E to B, it is always in the mega ohm range. Am I testing it correctly? To my untrained eye, looking at the schematic the mega ohm range should be correct.
I do get the expected reading for Q5.
I need around 80 to 90ma, I believe that this is within the operating range for the PS.
I am having trouble getting the IRF840. Does the Gate Charge (Vgs) matter?

Thanks John