Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

I was about to use the SSHV2 in a tube preamp, but there is a huge ripple (~0.3 V) ripple in the amp output. I measured the same ripple in the regulator output with the dummy load resistor. Any clues where the possible source would be?

My amp consumes 34 mA at 270V and I have set the total current to 54 mA

Remember you should jumper S0 with F0 & S+ with F+ locally at each output connector and then use thick enough force type wires only. Good luck.

I did that and still pops. I feel more likely the caps are somehow leaking because if I mute the preamp only once and quickly un-mute before I switch the power amp, I don't hear pop. By mutting , the relay shorts the output to ground. This preamp has 2.2uf Mcap Silver Oil cap at output.

BTW, it makes very noticeble differrent when running the reg in 2 wires mode. 4 wires mode is so much better to my ears.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
At least it was an opportunity to compare SQ in a certain build between wire modes.

I remember there was some talk maybe years ago that SIO mustn't be used near hot tubes because its oil will react and there will be some hundreds of hours useful life remaining only. Don't know if that was ever proven, but I had serviced a BAT preamp once that it was doing weird things and it was due to DC leaking Jensen PIO packs in the end, which I replaced. That does not mean that you would not look in to the power transient hypothesis also. Digital oscilloscope in single shot mode should help a lot.