Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

I have decided to build both :rolleyes:,
for the last month I have been collecting parts for both ... haven't finished yet :cool:

both will have SSHV2,

26 will have rod filament bias -thomas mayer power transformer - tv dampers -and most probably ll1660 (theese and a pot are the only parts missing yet) .. got 12 st and 2 gl to start with ...

6v6 will have pretty much what is at the schema (clarity cap/oil motor runs/silmic II/kiwame etc) and for the tubes 2 sets ...
a russian one, with 5c3s svetlana black plates and russian 6Π6C
and another one with 5r4gy and rca 6v6 ...

I know ... it would have been better to build one at a time, but it was beyond my will :rolleyes:

hope that soon I will have them both ready ....

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm confused sorry, do you use these like me?

AVC_Sm.jpg

Are those capacitor bottoms with wires exiting from black blobs belonging to Obbligato film in oil cans?

Salas, yes three of them are Obblingators....are they OK caps??

At the moment, I have four wires (24 AWG teflon insulated) from the PSU chassis to the Amp chassis, only in the amp chassis they then branch into 8 wires, with 4 wires going to each tube....is that arrangement OK??

My chassis is non-metalic..(fiberglass top, with wooden sides).....I have connected all metal cases of the transformers to the earth (the third pin of the AC plug).....do I still have to connect the PSU ground to the earth??

And do I need to have an earth at the Amp chassis as well??

What fuse should I use??

Cheers....

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK caps.

You mean the reg output 4 wires? The 4 wires should end as 2 centralized feed points at the amp where they close circuit as F+&S+, F0&S0. The branches should start there, try to keep their lengths equal.

If the rectification capacitors are on mains earth by (-) pins then the whole 0 line to the amp is connected there through the reg already. Have it like that for safety.

Don't know about fuse, depends on the VA rating of your transformer and your mains. What is it in Hong Kong, 220V 50 Hz? If you have say a 50VA transformer a 250mA primary fuse would maybe be OK on such mains.

Yes, the reg output 4 wires....and one tuibe is about 4 inches further away from the branch point.

I was thinking of at the branch point branch each wire into 2, and have 4 wires to each tube....but it is simplier to be able to close circuit at the branch point, and have 4 wires to each tube.....the wire from the branch point to the tube about 12 inches long....one tube about 4 inches longer...

The caps are not on earth at the moment.....so I need to connect the PSU ground to the earth....shall do...

Yes, in Hong Kong...it is 220V 50HZ.....I will check the rating of the transformers...

Cheers....

Salas....just a thought.....what if I get rid of the branching point and close the circuit at the tube (the CCS that is loading the tube).......what I mean is I bring the F+ to tube one, and S+ to tube 2...and jumpper across with a 4 inch jumper there.......same with F0 and S0....

According to your experience, would that be any worse??

""...You NEVER separate the ++,00 wire pairs coming from the reg...."".....understand.

""...you close the reg pairs in mid distance to them if possible....""...and shall do.

""...You bridge the points of psu interest in the audio circuit...""...not quite understand exactly...please explain a bit more....

Cheers....