Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

Need help

Salas,

I found my 26 pre-amp sound wired suddenly and the voltage on both R/L channels fluctuate quite seriously. The raw supply is stable at 172v. The LEDs are all on and I can't check the voltage reading since they keep swinging. The trimmers are working and can tune the voltage to certainly level, but jump to the extreme all in a sudden.

Regards

Albert

Last edited:
Salas,

I found my 26 pre-amp sound wired suddenly and the voltage on both R/L channels fluctuate quite seriously. The raw supply is stable at 172v. The LEDs are all on and I can't check the voltage reading since they keep swinging. The trimmers are working and can tune the voltage to certainly level, but jump to the extreme all in a sudden.

Regards

Albert

Oh....sorry, forgot to tell, mind is an old version SSHV1. Please see attached. Thanks

Attachments

• US-buit-SSHV1.jpg
    US-buit-SSHV1.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 466
Check BE and GS voltages to see if fets and bjts are working.

George,

Thanks and I have them checked after taking out from the board so to compare. The new and the took-out ones - 350/840 - measured the same. I don't have any chance to take number when it's on. The voltage keeps fluctuating. I have 2 boards for L/R. While I set close to 150v on one side, then the other side shifted to different extreme, either very low/ or very high voltage. One thing I don't understand is when one channel voltage drops to very low, the other board's voltage go very high, even higher then the supply voltage.
Before this happened, I had 172v from the main then split to two boards. I could easily adjust to 150v without problem.

Albert

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Salas,

Regards

Albert

Oscillation most probably. Did you tweak something at the receiving ends?

What the value of R1? 56R for 40mA

33 R or 27R

down R1, set current CCS for all, you can get the V-out !

Not: Use current =80%, and IRF 840 = 20%.[/QUOTE]

Is it a benefit to run it too hot. What I need is 5mA per 26. It was running perfectly, but suddenly turn into this. I checked temperature for all fets and 2 legs, no sign over overheat. I didn't check the 170 yet.