Simplistic MosFET HV Shunt Regs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We use small ref filtering capacitor here and it does not go because it comes up fast, although I have shown it could be Zener protected in an old post for avoiding the odd smoke. I will see about it again when I will check the SSHV2 if with a bit bigger cap.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Which cap are you talking about? Across the shunt mosfet I use a MKP 156nF cap, series with 1R, and the result is excellent. Any lower value cap could not be used in my case, and the 1R was compulsory too.

Before the reg I have a RCLC filter with low ESR, large C values.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Technically if you want the achieve the lowest output impedance that the design might allow you should use force/sense connections. However, we started talking about the Kelvin connection only when I introduced the bjt buffer before the shunt mostfet on the low voltage circuit, where the design promised low output impedance well beyond 20kHz. In that case, there was no way to achieve it without the Kelvin connection. If the current Salas HV schematic doesn't have the buffer, then you don't worry about low output impedance at 20kHz anyway. The HV shunt reg that I built recently has both the bjt buffer and the force/sense wires, and low output impedance in a wide frequency range.

Thank Iko, could you post your schematic?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sure, I have shown schematic in the past. As in the other regs. SSHV2 will have as standard, if proven it mixes well. But I will have to go visit a friend that has #26 and horn speakers, and tweak there, compare SSHV installed already, gather opinion etc. Want to keep it comparably low parts count with gains in frequency etc. with no further stages, to can practically give better subjective impression also. A juggling act on trying to surely practically improve on a so widely liked and used circuit, not easy.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've been doing some more rigorous testing of my SSHV SPUD Single Feed OPT SET heamp.

With the spud tube (WE417) loaded at 100k (600ohm headphones on the 32 ohm secondary) I can easily output 1V (2.5rms in) with good THD (2H -60dB).

Now when I plug in the 32 ohm headphones on the 32 ohm secondary (equals a 5k load on the tube) well after .5V's and above the distortion get very high (2H -20db by .8v out).

Now 32 ohm headphones don't need .5V's and overall at normal listening levels this thing sounds great but I find it odd that this circuit runs out of steam so fast with the tougher load on the tube.

Could this be related to the undefined SSHV issue with inductive loade? Or is it more likely a transformer or poor operating point issue? Tried what is on the schematic as well as ~150V/15ma/1.8V. My SSHV is set for 40mA and has ~200V in. The second mofset reads about 280F on its tab.

spudamp.jpg

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it could oscillate it, you would see a wide spray of harmonic noise across the FFT screen. If that's not happening its highly probable the THD is happening due to the audio amplifying section. But, can it be needing more current to set for such driving conditions?