Simplest Passive Preamp design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Andrew Thanks for helping out. this is not something I am familiar with. So my power amp has an input impedance 100,000ohms.
Adcom gfa 545 II is my amp. The input sensitivity is 1.25Vrms and for Minidsp out put is either 4Vrms or 2. The amp is going to drive 3Ohm load.
Not sure about Minidsp's output impedence.

Use the 2Vac option for the minidisp. That is already too loud for a 1.25Vac input sensitivity.

The 100k input impedance allows you to use ~40k vol pot. so either use 20k, or 50k. But you may get slightly better performance by using a 10k vol pot.

Can the sources drive the cables and the vol pot?

so to give you a better idea
The chain looks like this
Logitech streamer -->toslink-->minidsp HD -->attenuator/ preamp--> adcom GFA545--->2.75 ohm woofers( two eminence Alpha 15 parallel )
So my source would be minidsp HD I think.

Last edited:
Did you mean 100K Andrew ?
Hi DF 96, I can use the digital gain in minidsp but prefer to use one in analogue domain
you may get slightly better performance by using a 10k vol pot.
I really did mean 10k vol pot.
You could even try a 5k or 2k or 1k vol pot if you find out what your source is capable of driving.

Last edited:
the source has to drive the parasitic capacitances, the RF attenuation capacitance and the Load all in parallel.
You need to ensure there is sufficient current capability in the source.
Then you need to arrange for sufficient voltage transfer to the load. This is achieved by setting a source impedance : load impedance ratio of >>1:5

I'm sure that a 10k dual log pot in a small metal box will be fine. I have been using such a "preamplifier" for many years. I think you will be surprised at the sound quality of this simple arrangement. There's a sticky thread on the subject in this forum.

I don't have input sockets on the box; I have flying leads with phonos at one end for the CD player and XLRs at the other end for the power amplifiers (2 separate single channel amps). If you do it this way, use grommets to avoid any damage to the cables where they enter the box.

It's such a cheap option that it is worth trying before anything else. I would, however, recommend steering clear of the cheapest potentiometers. Get a Bourns or something similar.

I've attached a simple diagram. Attach all the wires that need to be grounded (the four shields and the two wires from the pot) to the same point on the box. Solder tags on a bolt through the box are a good way to do this.

Good luck!
Stephen

Attachments

• Simple vol control.png
    Simple vol control.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 437
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.