• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SimpleSE PCB out of stock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have any extra tweeters or anything with that setup? Those are large speakers, and I wouldn't expect them to be able to reproduce super high highs.

I should add that I know nothing about the facts and details about speakers. Just that a lot of people in the hifi crowd say 4" is the way to go!! i went w/ six inch fostex, and am happy with it, but the low end is lacking a little.. They're also not open baffle type, so a completely different animal. Basically.. Im interested in other speaker options, so do those work out for you pretty well using the amps you've designed?

Ok, I do see the xover, and the two sets of inputs for the speaker. I'm used to seeing car audio coax, where the tweeter is a little extra speaker mounted in front of the full range. I guess it's all somehow integrated into the Hawthorne.

URG this hobby sucks! I'd love to get a set of those to try out and compare to these fostex back loaded horns w/ the crazy internal baffles.

I guess the only way to truly be successful and try all of the options in this hobby would be to take it a step further and set up a store selling this equipment so you have a good excuse to demo all of it :).

thanks for the link!

wicked1 said:
Ok, I do see the xover, and the two sets of inputs for the speaker. I'm used to seeing car audio coax, where the tweeter is a little extra speaker mounted in front of the full range. I guess it's all somehow integrated into the Hawthorne.

It is. What you have there is a high compression horn mounted on the rear of the driver magnet. The magnet has an open pole piece, obviously a little larger than normal. The high frequency sound travels through the pole piece and out the front of the driver, where the transparent cone covers it. It's a rather ingenious way to make a full-range driver, and take up no more space than that of the main driver.

I have attempted to do something like this, but less efficiently, by drilling through the pole of a B20 Pioneer driver, in which I can run the wiring to a tweater mounted in the front of the driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I suppose I could drill out the center even larger and attach a high compression horn, and I may just do that in the near future. There are so many possibilities here. However, the way the tweater is mounted in front of the B20 is quite professional looking and allows the wiring to go out the back of the speaker without affecting the performance of the driver.

I know you said "It will be a while" before you had a design fro the P-P pcb, but I was wondering what you estimate a "while" might be?

3 months? 6 months? A year?

Not trying to be pushy or anything, but I like what you already offer and would be excited to build a P-P amp using a board of your design. I am planning to build something this summer and if your design is available by then I would like to go with that. However, I realize that Rome wasn't built in a day. So I am happy to wait if need be and just build something different in the meantime like a good preamp to plug all my gear into.

Love your website, by the way. Well thought out and very informative.

--Steve

I would guess that it might be in the 3 to 6 months range, but it is hard to estimate how much time that I will get to work on Tubelab related activities. There have often been weeks at a time where I only have time for answering email (and I sometimes get behind at that). The earliest that I have made it home from work this week was 8PM.

are Simple SE boards still available?

Yes, I have plenty of Simple SE, Tubelab SE, and Simple P-P boards. Sales have been slow, so I still have some Tubelab SE's from the stack shown in post #18. I restocked the Simple SE's earlier this year, and the first batch of Simple P-P's arrived a few weeks ago. I am not accepting orders for the Simple P-P's until the construction manual is finished (two weeks maybe).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.