• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple SE - Ei KT90?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ty_Bower said:
I couldn't wait... I just stuck them in without making any changes. These are some seriously nice tubes. If you happen across a couple, give 'em a try.

I ran the EH KT90s at close to 100mA using the 340 ohm cathode resistor setting. They didn't seem to break a sweat and they sounded great. Not sure how the Ei's compare, but the EH's have a lot of extra fins on the plates. Using the same cathode resistor, the New Sensor 6550 (Tung-Sol) also flowed about 100mA with no trouble and sounded pretty good. That same setup on the SED KT88 caused a small amount of plate glow to form at the base of the fins. I run those at 390 ohms which I think puts me in the 80mA territory.

I'm guessing with the 810 ohms resistance I have right now I'm about 50~60 mA. You've got an Edcor power transformer, right? When I used to run KT88 with 560 ohms my Hammond got reasonably hot. I added an extra 250 in series to make the 810 I have now. My twenty watt tubes didn't like the lower ohms. That extra resistor could be easily jumpered out, which I should probably do for the big tubes. Maybe it's time to put a switch on the front.

I'd like to get the bias up a bit on these guys. I'd think it would put them in an even better region of the curve.

Ty_Bower said:
You've got an Edcor power transformer, right?

Yes, I have the XPWR035 which is rated at 200mA on the 740VAC winding. It seems to be fairly conservative. I've run it for hours at 100mA per output tube plus a bit more for the input tubes and it runs fairly cool.

I think those KT90s are asking for more, but they will live forever at those currents. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.