• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Simple PP vs. Tubelab SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is flat out INCORRECT. P-P cancels even order harmonics generated WITHIN the amp - it DOES NOT affect the music's harmonics, second or otherwise.

A good SE amp will have the second harmonic as its primary THD component.

A good P-P amp will add some second harmonic, and the primary THD component will be a mix of third and some second harmonic. Some higher order harmonics will be added on strong signals.

A well balanced fully differential P-P amp will add nearly no second harmonic and its primary THD component is third harmonic.

I did some measurements of Tubelab SE (SET) and push pull amp Dynaco ST-70 (restored original PC board w/ updated power supply) with my cheap tools (not lab grade) and noticed some differences when fed the same signal. What does this mean about Dynaco ST-70?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I also measured Parasound HCA-750A (P-P transistor amp) and noticed the diminished even order harmonics and prominent 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th order harmonics. So I'm wondering, is this common with push pull amps?

Last edited:
Yes, an SE amp will have a dominant 2nd order harmonic while a PP will typically (though not necessarily) have a dominant 3rd, 5th, etc. The feedback loop on the ST70 helps clean up the rest of the harmonics.
But I noticed almost same level of 3rd harmonics from both and yet there is a significant reduction of 2nd harmonics from P-P circuit.

The source I used was 1KHz sine wave that was part of ARTA program I downloaded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.