Simple Killer Amp - Circuit analysis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
MikeB said:

Hi macka, maybe Selfs texts are not the best source about good sounding amps, they are perfect if you want a perfect 1khz sinewave...

Hi Terry, i did some measurings, but my measuring setup is quite a mess...
I attached a fft for 10+11khz fft at ~5v into 8ohms, try to ignore the harmonics spread from the induced 50hz and its odd harmonics.
The distortion products are visible at 1,9,12,18 and 22khz.
The intermodulations are below -90db.

Mike

Hi Mike

I do a little programming myself, mainly network related but I've got a passing interest in 3D that I revisit regularly.

My engine currently consists of high mapped terrain from raw files, milkshape and 3DS model readers, octree space partitioning with view space culling, OOP world, model and object classes, entity hunt/avoid/seek/traverse and field of view apprehesal. Along with world collision detection and object collision detection instances and basic physics - gravity, acceleration, inertia etc.

One thing I've learnt is that there's compromises to be made in speed, playability and eye candy. Sure your physics engine might not perfectly model inverse kinematic involved in collisions but as long as it looks and feels right the reaction is just as pleasing.

Its a similar set of compromises with amps.

BTW: This probably looks way off topic but read the last bit and I've got the word 'amps' in there! I'm just as on topic as everyone else here :)

tinitus said:
Well, Evas intensions with this tread are all wrong being very destructive and no good DIY spirit
I like to look at measurements too, but also know they can be interpreted in different ways, and I find that Eva is desperately clinging to every little bit there is to find
This is looking more and more like a personal vendetta
Eva, I think you as a professional has broken the rules as a professional being in this community

very sad to see a talented person waste her skills like that

I know that SKA circuit is seriously flawed at high frequencies because I have been working in something similar and I have faced the same issues that rest happily unsolved on that commercial circuit. That's not my problem, though, it's only the problem of everybody that has paid for it, as I enjoy developing my own circuits and solving my own HF issues :) I find quite disappointing to see so much people, even the ones without any electronics background, doing their best to prevent these nasty circuit bugs to be disclosed, but again that's not my problem.

AKSA:
I like your scientific side :)

By the way, the following oscilloscope capture shows how my circuit puts a 10Khz square wave into 10 ohms after half an hour working into the frequency compensation. It uses both phase lag and phase lead, and it no longer has trouble with 100Khz square waves now.

10Khz square wave capture

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Eva said:

I know that SKA circuit is seriously flawed at high frequencies because I have been working in something similar and I have faced the same issues that rest happily unsolved on that commercial circuit. That's not my problem, though, it's only the problem of everybody that has paid for it, as I enjoy developing my own circuits and solving my own HF issues :) I find quite disappointing to see so much people, even the ones without any electronics background, doing their best to prevent these nasty circuit bugs to be disclosed, but again that's not my problem.

OK change of tact:

Could you give a description of what these flaws in the HF response would be? And how they'd affect the sound.

I'm listening to the amps now and as far as I can make out its very clean in the high's, plenty of detail and smooth. I've got a Roksan amp here that I was listening to before and comparison it sounds more forward in the highs, slighly less clean and the detail seems over hyped and less natural - it draws attention to itself on occasions, the SKA doesn't.

It maybe that the amp is flawed in the HF but I'm really confused as to how this affects the sound.

ShinOBIWAN said:

OK change of tact:

Could you give a description of what these flaws in the HF response would be? And how they'd affect the sound.

I'm listening to the amps now and as far as I can make out its very clean in the high's, plenty of detail and smooth. I've got a Roksan amp here that I was listening to before and comparison it sounds more forward in the highs, slighly less clean and the detail seems over hyped and less natural - it draws attention to itself on occasions, the SKA doesn't.

It maybe that the amp is flawed in the HF but I'm really confused as to how this affects the sound.

To my experience, flaws in the HF results in lost transparency but glare sound and unclean sound, also exaggerated details. To me it seems that the SKA suffers from these problems much less than most other amps.

Finally, it is still all about distortions, just not the simple ones at 1khz.

Mike

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Eva said:
High harmonics of distorted bass and midrange are routinely mistaken as "improved detail", as it actuallt helps to identify better lower frequencies. Most people likes it this way.

Well that has nothing to do with my original question but thanks for moving even further away from the matter at hand (high frequency performance).

To address your concerns; we've already seen the FFT at 1Khz which is right in the critical midband range. The spray of harmonics is innoculous, which isn't what your hinting at. You ask for measurements yet when they are provided you change the story.

I agree that FFT's at 200hz, 10Khz and 20Khz would be nice also. If only to shut you up :)

Your yanking everyone's chain here and after a good nights sleep I can see that very clearly now. This thread is a waste of my energies, I'm off back to work and then when I get home I'll sit down and enjoy the SKA for an hour or two.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.