Simple high school project - advice requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On behalf of high school students, I would like to say we are up the the challenge of building boxes. Once you get those students started, they will want to build bigger and better things. I think if they are interested in the project then they can build anything.

Have you built any speakers yourself?
If so they would be great to show them what they can do.

Goodluck,

Josh

sorry !

I didn't intend to imply that your students were not up to making cabinets. I certainly am not which is why I have yet to get round to building any speakers, though I have built,rebuilt and tweaked electronics.

I'm really interested to know what you decide. Right now I'm listening to Mp3's on my PC played via the T-amp and a pair of the old radio Shack Lineaum speakers (GXL5 ?) and it sounds pretty good, but .... something more efficient would be better

Wella said:
Wella,
Sorry man, I mean you now offence but that link is to a piece of junk.

Long info sorry
Use that idea buy 1/4" x 4+" x 8+" plexiglass from HomeDepot. Don't take paper off plexi until through mod.
Draw center line on longest length.
Draw 4 parallel lines on both sides of center line.
Center router over center line at one end and mark center line.
Measure and mark every 1/2" on center line from router center mark to end opposite router.
Measure and mark parallel lines like center line but add 1/16" to one lines on side of center line and subtract 1/16" from all lines on other side of center line until all lines are marked.

Now drill 1/16" holes at each mark
Drill 1/16" starter hole at router center mark and increase size to 1/4".
Remove paper off plexi, set router on table with bit up.
Lay plexi on router with router bit thru plexi hole.
Mark your routers mounting holes on plexi and drill 1/16" starter holes.
Verify your mounting holes align up.

Next step with care, make sure you know which side of plexi will be toward mdf. Drill on mdf side of plexi a partial 3/8" hole to counter sink mounting screws. Some screws may need larger counter sink.

Holes covered by router flange can be drilled through flange if you want smaller holes, I have done this.

Use a finishing nail as center point for your holes. All said and done, your holes will be 1/8" dimensional.

hey mt goat..... i built the 167 box w/stand

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53126&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

there are a few pics of the ones i built. i didnt finnish them for looks yet. course they are in effect finnished..hahaha
anhoo. i love them. dont be misled into thinkingyour first set up wont sound all that good. im very happy with mine. i had a decent polk theater 6 pc set in the living room,then i put these in there to see how they sounded with the better reciever,,,,well they are still hooked up,and id like to build a few more,,slightly different though for size,and bring the polk set up in for the pc. every once in a while i put the reciever into "by pass" mode to just hear the fronts (diy 167s) and im still amazed. are they perfect? i guess not. but to my ears,,they are the best ive ever owned,though the "best?" i bought were the polks.
yes they do need a bit of bass boost/sub help,but ill say this,if you listen to jazz or classical or acoustic country,bluegrass....they will stun you. to me they are just a hair bright,,though i only notice it when i crank em up. when playing "normal" they are very very good.

good luck.

roy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.