Simple Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
djk,
Why does it have to be somebody in the USA? Is the US postal service involved somehow?

Christian,
This being your first amp, why don't you continue with the chip idea but just use a single IC? Call it a prototype for your next amp, which could very well be a 500W behemoth. Maybe plan to put it in the bathroom for music there when the new one comes along. The ESP PC boards are a good clean way to build one of these (www.sound.au.com).
Look for JoeBob's thread here sometime in the last month, he was in the process of building something like this.

"djk,
Why does it have to be somebody in the USA? Is the US postal service involved somehow? " Since I live in the USA it makes more sense to spend $.34 on a stamp and have it get there in a few days than spend $7 on sending it to Korea and waiting who knows how long."Sawzall :dkj, I'd be interested in seeing it - so I can scan and post if you want " Give me your mailing address and I will send a copy.

Hi,

Seems there is alot!!! to learn when building a power amplifier,
but I have gotten started with the single chip LM3886 amp.
I'm planning on using my computer as source of signal,
so I am very uncertain weather I need a pre-amp or not to this system?
Seems to be working out pretty well without, but mayby I'm missing out on something.

Best Regards,
Christian V

You would only need a preamp if the audio level from the PC or the gain of the amp was too low. Neither of these are the case, I'm sure. Another reason might be for tone controls or other frills.
It sounds like you've got something working already, if so congratulations!

Almoste finished!!!

Hi,

After some work on the amp the exteriors are now completely finished.
Since this is my first amp it's very simple, just volyme and an on-switch really. There are still some things I haven't figured out yet, for example where to install the fuses, before or after the transformers?
On the back you'll se the powerplug, signal and speaker contacts.

I'll post some pics of the interiors ASAP.
I'd really appreciaty comments and suggestions, so I at least know I'm heading in the right direction.

Thank you all for the tips and hints I got.
Here are some pics of my amp so far.
Best Regards,
Christian V

Attachments

• !!! kopia.jpg
    !!! kopia.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 437
Re: Almoste finished!!!

Christian said:
After some work on the amp the exteriors are now completely finished.
Since this is my first amp it's very simple, just volyme and an on-switch really. There are still some things I haven't figured out yet, for example where to install the fuses, before or after the transformers?
On the back you'll se the powerplug, signal and speaker contacts.

Put a slow blow fuse between the line cord and the transformer for fire safety reasons (at least). It's up to you whether or not to fuse the secondaries, I would recommend it, especially if your going to be poking around in there!

Looks like a nice enclosure, where did you get it (and what did it cost, if it's not too rude to ask)? Or did you machine it yourself?
The inputs and outputs are a little close for my liking, but you may not have had a choice with the length of the heatsinks there.
Yes, show us the insides once you have some...did you go with the single LM3886 design? Did you buy PCBs from ESP or what?

Inside pics

Finally got some pics of the inside,
As you can see I used two rather large torodial transformers, one/channel. Aparrantly thats better than sharing the same powersource for both channels.

I went with the one chip idea, and I think it sounds quite well, eventhough I can't say i had alot of experience with DIY amps.

I bought the enclosure from www.elfa.se

I'm still pussled where to aply the fuses. On + and - and ground, or just on + and - .

If anybody knows how to tweak it a little, (like putting som small caps here and there or something like that) I'm all ear.

I Used 2 filtercaps a powersource, rated at 6800 microF, is that enough?

Best Regards,
Christian V

Attachments

• pics kopia.jpg
    pics kopia.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 318
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.