Simple 60dB discrete low noise amplifier (lna)

Hi,

maybe it has been shown before....
anyway here´s a D.Self design published in WirelessWorld probabely in the early 90s.
Easy to source and cheap parts and quite flexible in gain.
ein is ~0.4nV/sqrtHz. Not bad for such a simple circuit.

jauu
Calvin

Attachments

• MC-PrePre - D_Self schem.gif
    MC-PrePre - D_Self schem.gif
    73.3 KB · Views: 928
jfet totem

Dear Euvl,

Nice that you brought up this jfet totem circuit.
I had built a version of it, for work not audio..
I would confirm that it works as stated. The DC balance of the working point is maintained from room temperature all the way down to 77K, where it is doing it's job also right now.
After a careful initial selection of singles, I have seen no more shift than a couple hundred mV :) And I run it at low tension because of power consumption- one should consider cryogenic system capacity.
No special care in thermal coupling apart from close smd mount.
I applied a buffer afterwards. The high gain is useful to be converted to high speed after the series-shunt feedback as DRCG had suggested. (a current feedback amplifier again..) At gain 10 I have 150 MHz -3dB response now. But I have versions with 600MHz bandwith as well.
It has a very very nice dynamic response.We are at 2.4nsec rise/fall time now, slew rate above 4000V/usec, no overshoot / ringing at all at small signal level, some overshoot at 6Vpp output level.
Though I would not call it a low noise circuit. The low inherent device 'en' sees the additional contribution of the source resistance, and to this also the current source contribution is 'power summed'.
Ok, with these fets we are still below of 1.6nV/sqrtHz and with a very low 1/f corner.

Ciao, George

Hi,

here´s the asc-file and the models.
Model instructions included in txt-file.
Attached also the original article from e&ww

jauu
Calvin

Attachments

• MC-PrePre - D-Self.asc
    9.8 KB · Views: 155
  • MC-PrePre - D_Self models.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 152
  • MC-PrePre - D_Self - wirelessworld 01.pdf
    580.2 KB · Views: 321
  • MC-PrePre - D_Self - wirelessworld 02.pdf
    653.2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
They are "tres cher" but Mouser is now carrying the Interfet IF3601 and IF3602.

Datasheet is somewhat skimpy -- no neat graphs -- and I can see why as the dissipation is only 300mW. 750mS @ Idss. Ciss and Crss are hundreds of pF.

The gm is a bit discombobulating.

Tomorrow will start a thread with some of the characteristics.

Last edited:
Hi,

maybe it has been shown before....
anyway here´s a D.Self design published in WirelessWorld probabely in the early 90s.
Easy to source and cheap parts and quite flexible in gain.
ein is ~0.4nV/sqrtHz. Not bad for such a simple circuit.

jauu
Calvin

One thing about that circuit -- the input impedance is essentially R1, or 100 Ohms. If you eliminate R1, or make it a high value, the maximum input impedance is approximately R2||R3. (Approximately).

Great amplifier for MC, but for measurement purposes it loads the DUT.

As you start addressing the stable gain and noise issues the circuit inevitably will no longer be so simple. I wanted something that I could use to measure the noise of my shunt voltage regulator, and the final circuit that was decent enough for me was that one in the attached image. If you look carefully you'll notice that it really a simple circuit. Stable gain precisely dialed in via two precision resistors (1k/1R). And it works in real life, as I built and measured it at about 0.4nV/rtHz. No idea what distortion it has, but that was no concern for me, as I intended to use it just for measuring noise.

VERY good constructive and informative thread, thanks to all participants!
Iko if I understood well, you made the last incarnation with jfet ccs in the drain and servo is working well?
Btw, any thread or link on how to calibrate ARTA for measuring noise with LNA?