Silver Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fdegrove said:

Current two-channel reproduction could be far, far better than it actually is now.
Agreed.

Multi-channel is by no means an improvement unless perhaps for home cinema...If that's your kind of thing.
Multi-channel is closer to how music is produced at live performances than two-channel. It has nothing to do with "my kind of thing"... it is simply a matter of multi-channel being fundamentally superior.

I for one certainly don't need that kind of sonic crap for my own entertainment, thank you very much.
You are entitled to call anything you wish crap... as you are entitled to have any opinion you please. The facts, however, are not subject to opinion.

Steve Eddy said:
So I choose not to stick my head in the sand, but instead simply observe reality and make comments on it when I please. You have a problem with that?

Tough.

What, you expect people to buy that which they DON'T enjoy in order to keep YOU happy?
And just where did you read into what I wrote that I had any particular expectations??? I have no expectations on this subject, only observations. I observe that the free market system is not perfect. I observe that sometimes corrections are warranted. I observe that "high-end" audio is one case of imperfection, but have no expectations that there will or should be a correction.

WHAT!? Crack cocaine? Losing wives? Robberies?

Good God, we're talking abut AUDIO EQUIPMENT here!
Sometimes when an issue is such a subtle shade of grey that most people casually observing it believe it to be white it is beneficial to point out similarities to something that is black, highlighting the fact that the issue in question is part of a continuum somewhere between white and black. I have no delusion that light grey and black are the same, but neither am I blind. Likewise, I have no expectation that light grey be corrected to white. I simply call grey grey.

Are you now going to blow your stack because I am discussing colors, not audio? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm not buying this Techno Taliban fascism you're selling.
I am not selling anything, nor am I advocating that anything in particular be "done" regarding this state of reality. In fact, I explicitly stated that it is a minor issue that typically does not even draw my effort in mentioning. In this case, however, I felt it was on topic and might at least draw some intelligent discussions from those with an open mind.

If you have any interest in the topic, how about actually addressing and discussing the topic instead of making knee-jerk emotional responses that lack insight and depth of thought?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Multi-channel is closer to how music is produced at live performances than two-channel.

May be so.
I still don't like what I hear from it in its current incarnation.
That's my opinion of it and I stated that as such.
I don't need nor appreciate any correcting on that, thank you.

as you are entitled to have any opinion you please.

Exactly.

The facts, however, are not subject to opinion.

Couldn't care less. And that's a fact too.

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:

I still don't like what I hear from it in its current incarnation.
That's my opinion of it and I stated that as such.
I don't need nor appreciate any correcting on that, thank you.
Sorry... I misunderstood your intent when you said "Multi-channel is by no means an improvement unless perhaps for home cinema." I had thought you were speaking of some technical aspect, which is what I was speaking of previously in the thread when I mentioned the relative merits of two- and multi-channel reproduction, and not just your personal preferences.

I know people who swear by headphones, and those who are made nauseated by them. I know some who want accuracy at all costs, and some who instead seek that which is most pleasing, whether it be a highly modified version of the original or not. When I use terms such as "fundamentally superior" I am really speaking only of the technical aspects as they relate to the accuracy of reproduction matching the original... and that may have little to no bearing on any one person's enjoyment or preferences. I should have been more specific and clear previously.

For OCC Silver, check here

Other sources of silver wire include:
Myron Toback (call them),

A-M Systems, Inc ,

Home Grown Audio

Note that the wire from Myron Toback is NOT insulated, whereas the wire from A-M is. Myron Toback has a minimum order of about $25, which when I ordered from them years ago, worked out to over 200 feet of 30ga wire. Its probably less than that now as silver prices have gone up in recent years.

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.