• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Silonex LDRs for Lightspeed Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I wonder if someone could make use of all the leftovers from all the people matching their own, or are they just useless :scratch:

I also wonder if it would be possible to easily do a "half"/premature matching, so that less LDR would be needed fore matching a set, and effectively making more matched sets possible

Regarding all the leftovers, from matching
Maybe just simply return them to Uriah, free of charge, as a goodwill
That is if he wants them

tinitus said:
I wonder if someone could make use of all the leftovers from all the people matching their own, or are they just useless :scratch:

I also wonder if it would be possible to easily do a "half"/premature matching, so that less LDR would be needed fore matching a set, and effectively making more matched sets possible

Regarding all the leftovers, from matching
Maybe just simply return them to Uriah, free of charge, as a goodwill
That is if he wants them

I'm building a matching jig for my LDRs. Depending on which of several options I choose (mainly based on what's in my spare parts boxes), I should be able to measure out 6 to 10 at a time. I could go as high as 20, but I'm trying to keep it to a 4" x 6" PCB. I understand why Uriah charges for this - it will take about an hour to do each of those sets and there's alot of data recording and assessing to do. I've done it before with some homemade LDRs (bulk 5mm LDRs from Electronic Goldmine coupled with a high output 5mm green LED and coupled together with heatshrink tubing) and it can get to be a PITA even with good tools and methods. I could maybe do the consolidation, or perhaps Uriah could do it, or maybe there could be a "buyback" program (say $0.50 to $1.00 per working LDR?) or credit toward a matching pair? There is obvious gain to be had with a single centralized tester, both in standardization of method and in having a larger pool of LDRs to match up.

BTW: My LDRs showed up yesterday in the mail!

If everyone sent back LDRs that at 40K tested around 2.5-5k I would label them, pool them, test them and sell matched sets out of that pool at a discount based on how many of that persons particular LDRs ended up helping a match.
So if you sent in 10 that measured between 2.5k and 5k on a 40k series resistor with 5V and lets say 2 of them helped make a match for someone then I would sell you a matched set for $15 plus shipping and paypal.
We would set a date, like September 30 for shipping these. Why so late? Because many of you will take months to finally test your LDRs.
If you didnt get a match and wanted them back just pay shipping back. I would not be interested in buying any LDRs back. The reason we have to match in such great numbers is because so many of them are measuring so uniquely that they are hard to match and me buying back the ones that didnt work for you guys would not make sense to me.
Uriah

Salut Uriah

I'd like to make a 'dual-stero' unit - two stereo units for a bi-amp setup (PC XO) - given that I may need to adjust for balance between high and low sections should I go for a balanced stereo matched set or two unbalanced sets?

Sorry to ask (especially if it's been asked before) - does your matching mean I won't need to mess around with trim-pots? i.e. do you match for absolute AND tracking resistance?

Merci.

Vernon

Vernon,
if you put the Lightspeed directly after the CDP and take 2 outputs from each channel of the Lightspeed couldnt you run all 4 channels with one Lightspeed?
I match at 4 different resistances. very very tightly. This does not mean that there wont be some tracking problems as there are infinite resistances.
My last two test points are at 20k and 40k although this time I might try a 75 or 80k we will see. Anyway a lot could happen between 20 and 40k but if its right on on 20 an its right on at 40 and its right on on 2 other points I think thats a great match. That said GeorgeHiFi matches for his production Lightspeeds and he recommends a trimpot. I would use one.
Uriah

Vernon back to your first question. I am not certain of the answer to that but I think that two unbalanced might be best. you would certainly have to bring up the volume twice each time but this also gives a lot of flexibility for messing with more bass or more treble so that might be nice. If you used balanced, which makes sense too, you would not have much room at all to bring up or down the volume on the second side of your XO if you desired to do so since the LSA would be trying to keep the volume the same on all 4 channels and the trimpot makes a small but not dramatic difference.
Uriah

Salut again Uriah

I should have been clearer - my PC source does the XO so I have (eventually) two stereo line level signals for the highs and lows. I've bought a couple of Paul's remote-controlled PCB sets, so the intention is to set high/low levels and L/R balance with push-buttons and RC the master volume. I only need to cut the low-pass by a dB or two, and it would be nice (!) if the highs and lows volume-tracked together ;-) - so it would seem a blanced matched stereo set would be best assuming that this is 4 matched series LDRs and 4 matched shunt LDRs - could you confirm before I order?

Merci encore.

Vernon

It will run about 7-8k on average. If you can use a 10k pot on your amp this will work like a charm. It works great on MyRefC as well as F5. Have not personally used it on others. Its incredible so while I might not know if it will work with your amp or not you might check the build thread here and ask George as he usually has a quick answer for those types of questions.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.