Silicone VS mica pads - pros/cons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XEAGLEKEEPER said:
Has anyone ever used beryllium oxide isolators ? Beryllium oxide is carcinogenic and poses health risks if inhaled. I know it is used in traveling wave tubes TWT's for rapid heat transfer to cold plates in Hi-power RF amplifiers( mil-aircraft). Any thoughts ?

I used berillium ceramic for hybrid ICs. Also, long time ago I had mil spec TO-3 pads made of berillium ceramic. But I don't remember details.

Why I started the thread, silicone pads look attractive, and I wandered, what if to use them instead of mica pads.

Hi,
the thermally conductive pads have a large variation in thermal performance.
A ratio of 3:1 is common from best to worst.
The worst is much worse than 0.002inch mica and thermal grease on both sides. But better than mica put in dry.

Choose carefully. Performance seems to be proportional to price.

AndrewT is right !

I always use mica for audio amplifiers, because of the critical importance of the thermal transfer, in order to reduce thermal transient intermodulation distorsion (class B).

But silicon pads are more secure for high voltage, switching power supplies, video amplifiers, etc.

Mica pads necessite more precise surface machining than silicon pads, for both transistor and heatsink. Carefully inspection and cleaning are essential !

Apologies for mispelling and other barbarisms ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.