Silicon Grease Toxicity

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any thermal grease you'd normally get in the store for a reasonable price will be loaded with Zinc Oxide - it's cheap and gets the job done for most applications. I wouldn't expect to see anything as exotic (and expensive) as BeO in anything besides an old military/aerospace assembly (this thread is the first time I've heard of BeO-loaded grease - I've only seen it in the ceramic TO-3 and TO-220 insulators).

High performance greases these days can be loaded with aluminum oxide or silver (the "Arctic" thermal comounds). I just bought a small syringe of high-performance grease from MG Chemicals that is loaded with Boron Nitride. This is a high performance material that doesn't have the toxicity issues of BeO. Boron Nitride is also used in the very high performance silpad-type insulators. I'm using the Boron-nitride loaded grease for some Class-A apps that need a little extra edge in conductivity. I'm also using aluminum oxide ceramic insulators for the same reason.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.