• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

I can't think of any interesting opamps that work at +/- 12V that don't work at +/- 15V. There's a few +/-5V (ADA4897 comes to mind), but we rarely need to work in low power for audio. Some of the high analog output audio DACs would certainly benefit from a good +/- 5V line though (I might be mis-remembering the AKM449x series, though, might just need 0V and +5V).

Interested in +/- 5V version

I need some opinions. I have looked at providing custom output voltages on the 'analog' outputs. The current version has +/-15V, but I could for instance provide a version for +/-12V and a version for +/-5V. They would all have the same 6.5/5/3.3V 'digital' output though.

Output currents on the analogs would increase roughly in proportion to the lower voltages.

If there is enough interest I can probably do it within the existing price structure; there is some additional one-time cost but I can absorb that.

Any interest in these custom versions?

Jan

I'm using one to power the
Soekris Engineering ApS, Products dam1021

This one would be happy with +-7-15V DC , so currently I do use the +/-15V. As the DAC consumes ca 800mA from positive rail I am stretching the limits the the SilentSwitcher here. So I would take one with +/-9V or +/-12V if you get some other requests for either. Would make life bit easier for the SS module.

pixelpusher - I do run two off of a Sony powerbank CP-S15.
One SS supplies the BPBP preamp (with MAYA and relay volume kit) and other SS supplies the Soekris DAC. Works fine... I just had to upgrade the power bank from some no name one as the prior was not able to supply enough current and shut itself down whe I connected both devices.

I second the need for +/-9V as that is what the CS3318 needs.

I would prefer an adjustable version as I would want to use the same Silentswitcher with different projects. I don't always know at time of purchase what circuitry it will be used with, it's just a very nice thing to have in the partbin.

Could you look into using LDOs where the output voltage can be adjusted by changing the feedback resistor?

These are my measures I did take manually and CNC-d to back plate. These measures did fit well enough.
(SS is the USB input on bottom right...)

Attachments

• SilentSwitcher_dim.png
    SilentSwitcher_dim.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 709
  • BPBP_DAC.png
    BPBP_DAC.png
    700.8 KB · Views: 715
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is bit better perhaps. The dotted line shows the PCB outer dimension. Not sure why I could not get these dotted lines visible on the Fusion 360 in my work PC. Now in home PC it does show them as it should.

Thanks Ergo, I just hadn't gotten around to post it. Can I use it, with proper attribution of course!

BTW the hole pattern seems OK but my CAD repeots the PCB size as 32 x 55 mm instead of your 56. Then again, what's a millimeter between friends ;-)

BTW I am looking at providing a version where you can change the outputs by replacing 4 size 1206 SMD resistors. Should be doable right?

Jan

Thanks Ergo, I just hadn't gotten around to post it. Can I use it, with proper attribution of course!

BTW the hole pattern seems OK but my CAD repeots the PCB size as 32 x 55 mm instead of your 56. Then again, what's a millimeter between friends ;-)

BTW I am looking at providing a version where you can change the outputs by replacing 4 size 1206 SMD resistors. Should be doable right?

Jan
Doable replacing 4 SMD resistors. :)

My SilentSwitcher measures 32.3 x 56 mm and is small enough! :D