significance of phase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soongsc, I did some A/B ing of polarity flipping and I can say if I did hear a difference, it certainly wasn't worth worrying about. Evidently, phase is not a factor for me. It sounded great either way IOW.

Dan
I would not be surprised. In the beginning, I did not hear much difference either. It was only when the CSD data showed significant improvement till I started to hear the difference. People will perceive things differently, and there are trends related with background that also corelated with this. Once person can have a drop of paint on his pants and not care about it while another might try to clean it off as soon as possible, some may even throw the pants away because of it. Same thing with coffee, tea, wine, painting, etc. People can look at a painting and perceive different things, usage of color, stroke methods, overall structure and interpretation of the painting, and $$$. For example, there is a local painter, whose methods of applying and mixing of colors I truly admire. I also like some of the ways he structures and presents a subject. But I would not like the painting hanging in my home because of the mood it presents. Lot's of people collect his work though.

What I am interested in is what specific music material you listened to. This way if someone else has the same material, they can also listen on their system.

One other thing that came to mind. Most polarity issues we found were listening at lower levels such that the room modes have less audible effect.

Last edited:
Timbre is based on tone + overtones. This is phase/time dependent. Shouldn't it be preserved? Most crossovers do not. Ultimately it is the harmonics which makes the difference we can all perceive between a guitar and a piano. There is the issue of what amount of phase shift is audible but there is not enough research on this. If you were to phase shift the highs by 1 second, anybody could hear this, as an echo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.