• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Signal transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most of my CDP's have output impedances around 1k, so that's what I work with.

My passive pre is a shunt type, with a 100k pot and 10k series resistance. With the primary impedance of 14.7k, reflected from the 367k secondary load, the CDP will see impedances from 10k to 22.8k, satisfying the 1:10 ratio at all times.

Forget it.

It's not just what the CDP will see, but what the CMMI-5C will see driving its primary.

You don't want to feed the CMMI-5C with a 1k source impedance, let alone 11k which would be the best case scenario with your shunt attenuator.

I wouldn't recommend driving the CMMI-5C with more than a few HUNDRED ohms.

So unless you can add an active buffer between the output of your passive pre and the CMMI-5C, I'd find something else to use them for.

se

Forget it.

It's not just what the CDP will see, but what the CMMI-5C will see driving its primary.

You don't want to feed the CMMI-5C with a 1k source impedance, let alone 11k which would be the best case scenario with your shunt attenuator.

I wouldn't recommend driving the CMMI-5C with more than a few HUNDRED ohms.

So unless you can add an active buffer between the output of your passive pre and the CMMI-5C, I'd find something else to use them for.

se

I was simply explaining that from the CDP's point of view, everything's just dandy.

But I did not look that what the transfo "wants" to see at it's input correctly. The series resistance in the passive pre should be eliminated and the source's output R and C checked for LF roll-off. R could be diminished to ~220ohm and C augmented enough for a LF -3dB point sub-20Hz. I should check what is the lowest impedance the output op-amp in the source can safely drive and set that as R I suppose, as I will now be shorting the output to ground when volume is fully turned down.

IG

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.