Sica 1.1" Dome Tweeter (Z009160) - good candidate for waveguide based 2-way?

Sica Z009160 is the driver in question ~69 EUR. It can take a low crossover point (1.5kHz recommended minimum) which is handy. I would imagine the narrowing at higher frequencies due to the larger than average dome diameter would pair well with a waveguide. (not shown, just an assumption) Giving a more even power response through the upper mids and treble.
Anyone used this tweeter before? or more generally used a large >1inch tweeter? Does the typical narrowing in the top octave due to diameter create any sound quality concerns?

1712689736842.png

Hi,

Often wave guides introduce dips in freq. response at about 10-12 kHz or so, and what should be an ideal solution in theory does not always work so well in real world situations. Horn-like or tube-like resonant character to the sound can be induced which is not good.
Also it's not clear how a wave guide could be fixed flush with the tweeter having concave shaped front plate.
Long story short, if the wave guide has not been very well designed with specific tweeter it's not clear if it's going to be an improvement or make matters worse.

Regards

Reactions: 1 user
Who said it was ideal?

But directivity is one of the most important factors of a loudspeaker design.
Especially the directivity mismatch with bigger woofers (6 inch and 8 inch) sounds much more awful compared to a little dip on-axis > 8kHz.
Which is even evident to the average listener. Again, see Floyd Toole.

I would highly recommend looking at the diy waveguide section here on the forum, as well as reading into constant directivity waveguides.

Lots of catch up to do.
About 15 years or so 😄😄😄😄🤣

Who said it was ideal?

But directivity is one of the most important factors of a loudspeaker design.
Especially the directivity mismatch with bigger woofers (6 inch and 8 inch) sounds much more awful compared to a little dip on-axis > 8kHz.

Hi,

I have had mixed experience while experimenting with wave guides. With some tweeters it improved things by making intergation better. With others it sounded clearly significantly worse, subjectively losing that fine detail that high quality tweeters posess. This after optimizing frequency response as far as possible with passive filters. There is more to a good sounding system then theoretical modeling, which often lacks some important aspects or is interpreted in a wrong way.
So before doing experiments I though wave guides are the way to go.
After testing and listening via a system with same driver with/without wave guide I think it depends.

Regards