Shure V15 Type III or Grado Gold Phono Cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
8 x 10^-6 cm/dyne sounds likely, making it a low compliance cartridge, best suited to higher mass arms. 32g total mass would give the optimum 10Hz, so if the cartridge weighs 6g, plus 2g for mounting hardware, an arm with an effective mass of 24g would be ideal.

When there's some daylight, I'll take a photograph of my strain gauge cartridge.

I have not noticed any real record wear, but one thing that recently happened was the cartridge flew out of the groove when tracking the cannon shots on Telarc's Tchaikovsky's 1812 recording.
That´s not uncommon, few cartridge/arm combinations track that well. The vestigal with a Sonus Blue sailed through, sounded a bit odd sometimes. My Grace 707 with Grado Signature tracks and sounds avesome. Bought a Dynavector Carat R23 or something ( not the one with diamond tube, step below with 2,3mm ruby cantilever) Tried in Grace, good lively, maybe not the same bottom as Grado or SPU. Then i tried the Telarc 1812, enjoyable and dynamic and here comes the first canonshot: the cantilever breakes right off and there is silence, except for the scratching sound of the Dynavector belly down on the record

EC8010 said:
8 x 10^-6 cm/dyne sounds likely, making it a low compliance cartridge, best suited to higher mass arms. 32g total mass would give the optimum 10Hz, so if the cartridge weighs 6g, plus 2g for mounting hardware, an arm with an effective mass of 24g would be ideal.

Whilst I agree a 9Hz to 10Hz target is admirable for a high
compliance cartridge I'd suggest for a low compliance cartridge
11 to 13Hz is more sensible, giving a range of 18g to 27g total.
Any arm effective mass between 10g and 30g would work well,
but around 20g effective mass is ideal.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• arm-mass.gif
    arm-mass.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 322
SY said:

There was a similar issue with another strain-actuated cartridge which (if my fading memory serves) was called Microacoustics. The stylus displacement in each of these cases was quite satisfactory for tracing grooves, but any warp or eccentricity would force the entire arm to move, despite its damping (ouch!). I had visions of black curls of PVC being shaved out of the groove. In reality, my records survived a week of heavy use with the Panasonic, but I never quite trusted it, despite a notably clear and dynamic sound.

The FM concept still makes the most sense to me, and the Weathers was sonic proof.

IIRC the Microacoustics was actually electret (it didn't need power). It actually had a little equalizer inside so a normal RIAA worked right. I always wondered if a custom pre-amp sans equalizer would have improved it

hey gang! been lurking here for a couple of months. when i saw a microacoustics cartridge mentioned i had to register and comment. i have been using mine (282e) since i bought it in 1978 or so, on my Dual 1245. it still sounds great! about 10 years ago i took it to a local hi-end shop to look at the tip under the scope. it looked new. the guy couldnt believe how old it was. i recently decided to fire up the TT again after a few years, and found the belt had stretched. 14 bux later, its back to work. i am planning to make a new base for the TT out of mdf, with a steel plate at the bottom, new wiring, and isolate the motor. working on an idea to isolate the chassis better from the base, so walking in the room is possible.

anyway, just thought i'd chime in!

sm.

Hey guys!
I'm a newbie here. Just wondering, I've read a lot of folks here and elsewhere talking about the AT95E cart. I can't find one listed anywhere, but have seen the AT92E listed many places on the 'net, and in my local stereo repair shop. Is it equivalent?

d.t.

The AT95E is only available on special import to the
USA and consequently has a serious price premium.

The AT92E is very equivalent except its a TP4 cartridge
with an adaptor for normal use. If you glue the cartridge
into the adaptor then they would be similar but still more
difficult to mount solidly than the AT95E.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.