Should I earth my CD player chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Class Y caps and varistors...

Hi,

Are you talking about MOVs (metal oxide varistors)?

Yes, that's the sort. I do not want to use an extra fuse, it would be nice to have some that don't short when they fail, ah well. I have a few elsewhere that are across L+N and I've had no problems so far, but maybe I am taking a foolish risk there - or maybe not because the plug is fused...if I use a 13A fused plug (as all in the UK are) will it then be safe to throw in some MOVs?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'Y' cap..

I've found it out myself :) Class Y supression caps go from earth to L or N and are safe if they fail i.e. do not short out.

Many thanks Duo!!

-Simon

Yes, as long as there's a fuse other than that in the fuse box (or breaker) I don't see any problem. The intention of an MOV is to short out in a surge so that they blow the fuse. This prevents any current getting to the circuitry of the device you're trying to protect.

The caps aren't for surge supression, but actually, to conduct transient noise and interference to ground. MOV's on the other hand, are there to short and blow a fuse in any case where the voltage is too high. Once an MOV has been shorted, it must be replaced or it will continue to blow the fuse.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.