Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

So can you explode this view at all so which pins are easier to see?? Thanks if you can. If not just where to get the detail. Thanks again. PC burson 5V regs will work for V1 and V2 is that right? I am going for the premium build from the start and I am still collecting BOM but you all have me really stoked for the results!
Steve
PS this is the ribbon laser mod with silver mica and mk caps

Last edited:
What's the idea of the short leads anyway?

Short leads mean low ESR - equivalent series resistance but also ESL - equivalent series inductance. This two parameters may influence capacitor + laser lowest resonance point. In other words, we need to keep noise over laser at the lowest possible level. Any induced noise due mobile GSM, radio HF, EMI etc. may affect laser operation and therefore CD reading.
As lower you keep the noise on laser and PIN detector, as much information you extract from CD with very low jitter.
If CD data is extracted without errors, than we do not need to perform C1 and C2 error correction and data stream is continuous with very low jitter.

X5R are cheap but very poor capacitors. In fact these are the worst MLCC you can get. In the last years, these capacitors have been restricted in military and life support application because exhibit huge piezoelectric effect, variation with temperature and potential applied.
When you put an X5R in a audio circuit you have two reasons: low cost is first and you are ignorant is second.
However there are applications (not audio) where X5R may be used with good performance.

What we have done here?
We killed any noise induced by these X5R bastards and performed proper decoupling cu high quality capacitors. Laser optical block is a place where vibrations are highest in a CD player. Beside musical program. optical tracking and focus, together with motors, are generating enough vibrations for these X5R capps to start induce piezoelectric effect noise.

The result is so obvious because X5R was a very poor engineering choice in this case.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally it was time to build a laserplatform with the removal of all 3 X5Rs and installing
1 Vishay 100nF on top of the laserencasing and 1 Vishay 100 nF underneath together with a 1 nF Silver Mica replacing the third and last X5R...

We first listened again to the 1 Vishay modded laserplatform using again the Charlie Haden cd and this time also the Du Pre cd (HQ CD).
We exchanged the laserplatform with the Full Monty Modified Platform.

OMG....THIS WAS OUR WOW AND HOLY SH&T MOMENT...

Complete transfer of my cd testboard....this was next level...different league stuff....
The last time I was so overwhelmed was with the implementation of a Dexa Neutron Star Reference Clock with dedicated PSU costing serious dollars !!!!!

The Orchestra was very detailed presented and a warm timbre was present...it was very captivating suddenly...and analogue fluent.

No need to tell you that I am going to implement this in my PiTbull Reference Player....wow !!

Thanks again Tibi...this is a must for all the Shiga Cloners...although I simply do not know where they all disappeared to?????

Thank you again for your nice presentation !:up:

Regards,
Tibi

Short leads mean low ESR - equivalent series resistance but also ESL - equivalent series inductance. This two parameters may influence capacitor + laser lowest resonance point. In other words, we need to keep noise over laser at the lowest possible level. Any induced noise due mobile GSM, radio HF, EMI etc. may affect laser operation and therefore CD reading.
As lower you keep the noise on laser and PIN detector, as much information you extract from CD with very low jitter.
If CD data is extracted without errors, than we do not need to perform C1 and C2 error correction and data stream is continuous with very low jitter.

X5R are cheap but very poor capacitors. In fact these are the worst MLCC you can get. In the last years, these capacitors have been restricted in military and life support application because exhibit huge piezoelectric effect, variation with temperature and potential applied.
When you put an X5R in a audio circuit you have two reasons: low cost is first and you are ignorant is second.
However there are applications (not audio) where X5R may be used with good performance.

What we have done here?
We killed any noise induced by these X5R bastards and performed proper decoupling cu high quality capacitors. Laser optical block is a place where vibrations are highest in a CD player. Beside musical program. optical tracking and focus, together with motors, are generating enough vibrations for these X5R capps to start induce piezoelectric effect noise.

The result is so obvious because X5R was a very poor engineering choice in this case.

Regards,
Tibi

Thanks for the lengthy explenation.

Regarding the laser mount, I was looking at a Philips CDM model, but it seems the controller is specific to the laser/motor/etc.
Too bad, because some model have suspension.

I ve had the same conversation with my friends 100 times because the sanyo mecha looks silly simple and or even bad mechanically...

Still they do not know what to say when they hear it playing better than most other transports, other than that it sounds awesome... But they still do not like the idea of having it themselves... Meh who cares... I am a happy diyer smilling everytime I open my system. And I am exposed daily to extremely high end systems...

That is the beauty of DIY... and shigaclone is DIY at its best...

Give it a try. For the ~200 euros it requires for a full transport, I guarantee that you will not regret it.

I ve had the same conversation with my friends 100 times because the sanyo mecha looks silly simple and or even bad mechanically...

Still they do not know what to say when they hear it playing better than most other transports, other than that it sounds awesome... But they still do not like the idea of having it themselves... Meh who cares... I am a happy diyer smilling everytime I open my system. And I am exposed daily to extremely high end systems...

That is the beauty of DIY... and shigaclone is DIY at its best...

Give it a try. For the ~200 euros it requires for a full transport, I guarantee that you will not regret it.

The last sentence, was that towards me or in general?

Currently I just cannot afford spending the money. Need it for other things.

The parts I use for modded power supply.

Instead Soft recovery diodes MSR860 proposed by Peter Daniel, I chose to go for Silicon Carbide Schottky Cree CSD1060A. To my ears these offer a smother and more fluid high register.

The power supply board offer the option for two regulators, standard LM7808 and LT1086Adj.
Beside lower noise and excellent current capability, I got more detail with LT1086Adj, so this is my first choice here. LM317 is out of discussion here, performing under standard 7808, so don't waste your time.
As Black Gates are history, for primary 2200uF cap my choice is Panasonic FM decoupled with an oil cap. I used Russian PIO with great results, but new Mundorf EVO series are quite amazing, compact and performing very very good. Any HF spikes and noise are very nice cleaned.
You can get them from partsconnexion. Very good value.

For output cap my choice was Elna Cerafine decoupled with a 1nF silver-mica. The cerafine will provide excellent low esr, stabilizing LT1086 regulator, while 1nF silver mica, with his ultra low ERS/ESL, will clean further any HF noise.

IMHO this is the most cost effective power supply who will sensible improve your Shiga MKII.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi, do you prefer 1nf or 10nf mica for c65? Thanks. Regards.

By the way Tibi, now that we have started replacing those small thingies on the laser, how about getting rid of that ugly little potentiometer on the static blob side of the laser? I never liked it...
Probably it is trimmed for best performance in factory, but we can easily measure it and get an exact resistor, or replace it with a mice quality plastic multiturn trimmer. It is a 1K trimmer if I am not mistaken. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Guys is this the Vishay you used on the laser?

MKP1837410161F Vishay / Roederstein | Mouser

the photo is wrong. Please check the dimensions for reference.

I have ten MKP1837410161G coming. I'm not sure what the difference is between the F and the G for the last letter in the part number. They are Vishay, and 1%, so maybe it's a temperature rating? Do you think there will be a problem using these? Thanks guy's.

By the way Tibi, now that we have started replacing those small thingies on the laser, how about getting rid of that ugly little potentiometer on the static blob side of the laser? I never liked it...
Probably it is trimmed for best performance in factory, but we can easily measure it and get an exact resistor, or replace it with a mice quality plastic multiturn trimmer. It is a 1K trimmer if I am not mistaken. Any thoughts?

...I even wonder if it is trimmed (per boombox) at all....;)

I can remember at the beginning of the topic (long long ago) that some try to trim it better to see if they can minimise skipping. (The skipping was not due to this but poor new platform height)

I really like the idea of a resistor......because if you have to trim it after say 5 years of use your laser is probably a goner anyway ;)

Yes I do experience skipping and more then this some CD become unredable,I experienced with 10nF 22nF and 100nf EROs same issues. so after couple of days switched back to original cap.To bad becouse I liked very much how it sounds...

I think you have to give it a new try...use another platform with laser (15dollar).

You said you switched back to the original cap...I take it you did not solder the X5R smd back but picked a new platform ?
If so your answer lies there ...platform issues.

The skipping is not due to the cap I have the situation playing for say at least 20 hours with a variety of cds. These modifications are paramount :D

Last night my friend came over (mini PiTbull owner) and he listened to the standard laser and after a while to the modified laser...he had to pick up his jaw from the floor :eek:

Last edited: