Shelby NC Ham Fest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And eBay has hurt most of the hamfests very badly, including Dayton.

Dayton, and all hamfests are shrinking. I was GIVING AWAY sweep tubes to anyone who wanted them and I still brought some home. I will be dropping the rest of my leftover tubes off at ESRC tomorrow. I trade a car load of tubes I don't want for a few that I do want. This is the last load of excess tubes. I did manage to turn one cubic Honda Element full of "stuff" into $2600.

Stan from ESRC will be at Shelby.

Yes, he told me that yesterday when I called to make sure he would be there tomorrow. He leaves for hamfests on Thursday or Friday depending on the drive and size of the show.

I might try to get over to the Hamfest this year, being just down the road a piece. Haven't been there before, but have been to some up north before.

If the weather is too good however, and some super kayaking trip or lake sailing is on the schedule for the day here, I won't make it though. And it's been raining so much lately, I'll have to check if the fairground is still above water!

If I'm there: I'll have a big droopy beige brimmed fishing hat on for the shade and probably a long sleeve white shirt (white, oversized, thin polyester thermal underwear top actually) for sun protection. (I don't think you will see anyone else with this getup on, everyone else is a burned redneck around here.)

I remember the days back in the 80s when Shelby was big enough that it took most of a day to see all of it.

Another thing that has hurt Hamfests is miniaturization of electronics.

In the 80s people were still building their own equipment. Young people were still experimenting with electronics, building transistor projects.

Today, virtually no one builds ham equipment from scratch. HTs are below $100!

ALINCO DJ-175T | 2M 5 WATT HT

In the 90s there was a lot of computer related electronics, but that has gone away as well.

So yea, Hamfests in general are way down. I'm hoping that by moving back to the fairground, Shelby will improve over the past couple of years.

I'll be wearing blue jeans, light long sleeve shirt, Panama Jack hat (beige), walking with a cane and carrying a daypack.

I think it was better than it was two years ago (last time I went).

It was mostly amature equipment, parts, etc with some computer related stuff and a bit of craft stuff for the women.

Stan had a mice steup although a good bit smaller than Dayton.

I would put the size of the flea market between 1/4 and 1/3 of the size of Dayton with more of a slant to individual sale, with Dayton having more small business sales going on.

I picked up a few tubes, a 5V 3A transformer ($5), a couple of HP ME-260C/U RMS volt meters, and some caps.

There was one nice lady giving away cold water (90F there with little shade), and selling some nice black seedless grapes that were a real treat in the heat.

All in all it was worth the drive (2.5 hrs).

I'll go back next year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.