SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi There!

Do absolutely NOT short the negative output to ground. Drive +IN with single ended signal, short -IN, take output from +OUT.

O.K. now I am totaly lost here with the output shorting things! :D
So, again: I used the + and the gnd output in unbalanced operation(only one RCA plug) with the SEWA V1 with good result. Earlyer I also tryed to use only the + and the - output and it worked too. Ofcourse both time I used SE source and I shorted the - input to ground via resistor in the BOSOZ.

Are you using a SLOW-blow fuse

Yes, I also tryed Fast and Slow-blow too. Now I use 2 Amps Fast.

Hey Tyimo, you never told us about your listening impressions from your planned test of Zen variations and SEWA. How did it play out?

We (me and a friend of mine) almost done! In this weakend I will try to write the results. You cann't imagine how complicated and hard to do such a big listening test: 10 amps, 4 preamp, 1 buffer, 2 CDP, 2DVDP and 3 loudspeakers......:D
We did not make real AB tests, because we havn't got an AB switch, but we tryed to be fast as possible to connect and reconnect the amps.

Shortly: The SEWA V1 clearly the winner!!!!! :cheers:

Tyimo

Tyimo said:

Shortly: The SEWA V1 clearly the winner!!!!! :cheers:

Tyimo

:spin: Thank you! [blushing]

Don't worry about the shorting business! 'You're in good shape. Although you don't need a resistor between -IN and gnd; just ground it directly.

You're wrong; I CAN imagine. It must have been a whole lot of fun also :D

About the fuse-blowing. I really can't imagine what's happened. Have you modified it lately or changed anything? Something must have happened, since it's been working for so long.. Does it blow a SLOW 2A fuse?

Hi Mad!

About the fuse-blowing. I really can't imagine what's happened. Have you modified it lately or changed anything? Something must have happened, since it's been working for so long.. Does it blow a SLOW 2A fuse?

Yes, it happened after few days that I made the RCA outputs, because untill that time I used only balanced for my A5 and Balanced 25W ZEN with XLRs. But it worked couple of days after the soldering.
No, it doesn't blow the Fast 2A fuse and even not the Slow 1.25A fuse.

I think I find a realy promising Tube line stage for the SEWA....;)
Maybe in the next month I will be ready with it.

Greets:

Tyimo

That might be pushing it. The only real person that would know is MAD_k.. But just thinking about it id say no. My mini a's running @ 1 amp bias x 2 channels running off a 300 va @ 16-0-16 gets a little warm after 5 hours. I don't know if 225 va will be enough. Id say 300 would be safer.

Here is a link for you > http://stores.ebay.com/antek-inc

This guy is so good and really friendly. Good product's good support good person.

Mad_K said:

It will get hot, but will probably survive ;) I'm using a 600VA 2x18V, but that is more than 2x what you need. It sounds better with a bigger trafo ofcourse. If you already have the 225VA, I'd say use it, but if you are out shopping, I would buy atleast a 300VA unit. ;)

Exactly. I always play it safe Like dad said you can buy cheap sure it will work. But why not spend the extra 10$ and buy something that will less likely fail and rune it all :)

i've seen it where people skimp and buy a cheap tranny it get's hot and it shors out and sends full ac wall voltage into the amp and basically kills the entire amp. for that 5-10$ extra you save many other hundreds :) the link i provided above is a good one.

What a fascinating project; I will need to fab my own boards as I missed out on the board offering by a mere three days!! I am driving an all Klipsch system, so I do have very efficient speakers. From the positive comments, I need to try this, as it seems a simple and adequate first amp to build. THANKS for sharing this!!

PS - if there are any more board builds, please advise. On the other hand, I work in the PCB industry, so if anyone needs boards, I can probably provide.

Chris

Mad:

Alll for a home theater setup:

Academy center
Forte L & R, and surrounds
KG2 rear surrounds

I also have a set of Cornwalls but do not care for what I consider a "hot" midrange, these will be sold in the near future.

All speakers have my custom crossover networks installed, and have a very hhigh quality sound. I am using an H/K receiver at present, but am wanting to build seperate amps. Pic of my crossovers attached.

Attachments

• f2_single1.jpg
    f2_single1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,520
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.