SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hybrid SEWA

Hi!

Quick question - what VRMS input is required to bump this amp (bare) up to full tilt?

+/-12-15V! So, you need a lot of gain from the line stage.

I am afraid that a simple CF with ECC86 or 88 will be not enough to drive the SEWA because the Mosfet's high input capaticantes.

Ryssen, you should try the Swedish REMUS preamp!

Greets:

Tyimo

Re: Hybrid SEWA

Hi Guys,

Ryssen said:

You meen just the SEWA without the tubes?

Yup!

With tube I would like about 1,5-2v.;)

Oh, at most. I usually aim for 0.7 VRMS with 1V max.

Will try it with just the ECC86 when I get all the parts,jleaman and Geek plaese post schematics for new ideas,:) Im not realy sure when or where I can use Direct copling.

Schematics for sure from me. I'm an open-source type guy :)

Tyimo said:
Hi!

+/-12-15V! So, you need a lot of gain from the line stage.

Thanks!

Not much gain really, +/- 15V is 30V P-P which is dozing for a tube ;)

I am afraid that a simple CF with ECC86 or 88 will be not enough to drive the SEWA because the Mosfet's high input capaticantes.

Pump up the current, pump up the current, DANCE! :D

Fortunately most of the totem designs I've used I have tested as stable into moderate capacitances. Knowing these plasti-tubes though, I should test for as high as 10nF maybe?

Cheers!

Ryssen, you should try the Swedish REMUS preamp!
He,he I built that one about 16 years ago..But where I am going to use/test this amp is with my computer-modded audiophile 2496,allright I post a pic so you can se for your self.it has a "Brute force" linestage
maybe it could drive the SEWA direct.But now I decided to make SEWA a hybrid.:D ;)
well if I use a ecc86 as voltamp and ecc88 as CF it might work.or
comments, schemas..:D
Computerstereo...

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    computer.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 974
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
tinitus said:
I think the beauty of SEWA lies in its simplicity, and I think you loose it along the way

All it needs is preamp with gain

If you build a tube into the SEWA you will need a pre anyway

So why not simply build a nice tubed preamp with the needed gain

Some people leave for a long distance to find gold, and return
back home with no finding. Next day, suddenly find lot of gold
at home ground.

But, the journey itself is a fun. :smash:

I think the beauty of SEWA lies in its simplicity, and I think you loose it along the way
Ofcorse I will try the SEWA whitout any tubes,As I have 2 holes for 9 pin socket in my top,sure would like some glowing tubes there.;)
Maybe try if I can run the SEWA direct from the soundcard wihtout the
"Brute force" simplicity...

Not much gain really, +/- 15V is 30V P-P which is dozing for a tube
How much is needed in RMS?My sound card puts out 2v...maybee just a litlle tub in SEWA..

I´ve spent the whole night experimenting with ECC86 and mosfets. I tried BJT CCS loading with and without Jfet buffer, hybrid Mu-stage with Jfet on top, choke loading with and without buffer and nothing seems to be able to push a simple Mosfet power follower past 20kHz!

I guess ECC86 simply isn´t a good candidate for the job, and it´s a shame cause I came up with some really neat direct coupled hybrid amp topologies last night...
Since I have everything set up I´ll try PCC88 in the same circuits, it might or might not work better. I have my doubts though, tubes seems to like voltage and Mosfets require some current in the driver stage.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Fuling said:
I´ve spent the whole night experimenting with ECC86 and mosfets. I tried BJT CCS loading with and without Jfet buffer, hybrid Mu-stage with Jfet on top, choke loading with and without buffer and nothing seems to be able to push a simple Mosfet power follower past 20kHz!

I guess ECC86 simply isn´t a good candidate for the job, and it´s a shame cause I came up with some really neat direct coupled hybrid amp topologies last night...
Since I have everything set up I´ll try PCC88 in the same circuits, it might or might not work better. I have my doubts though, tubes seems to like voltage and Mosfets require some current in the driver stage.

88 like current,but you'll not have much of current with this sissy voltage......:(

Ryssen said:
Commenst on this please.:cannotbe:

I think it's worth a try! :)

Not much gain really, +/- 15V is 30V P-P which is dozing for a tube
How much is needed in RMS?My sound card puts out 2v...maybee just a litlle tub in SEWA..

10.62 VRMS (sinewave)

I recall seeing somewhere (another forum?) someone saying 7 VRMS. Close enough in the dBV scheme of things ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.